• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Radarlock xl and Prizm trail

Sushobhon

I should Work at Oakley
I want to buy a pair of radarlock xl's ...two options are available here
1)Fire iridium polarized
2) Clear to black iridium photochromic.....so between these two what would be the best for versatile use ...I never had none of those lenses...and transition compare to prizm trail frequent in and out of shade situations..really confused what should I buy?

Photochromic is one of those where people either like them or they don't. You'd have to try them yourselves to find out which one you are. But realize the transition is not instantaneous, there will be a short gap in brighter light while they darken and likewise in darker light while they lighten. And they're affected by temperature.

It's not really valid to compare them to prizm trail, since trail is a custom contrast with a fixed trans %.

Fire polar is a quite versatile contrast lens. Some don't care for the greenish base tint while others don't mind. Again, people either like them of they don't.

But there is no single lens that's ideal for all conditions. Every one will have a weak spot, and others that don't have that same weak spot will have a different weak spot. Hence the radarlock functionality to quickly swap lenses, and the case which holds a spare lens or two.

Really there's a high degree of subjectivity with lens preferences. You're way better off trying them yourself than asking others' opinions.

I want to buy a pair of radarlock xl's...so between these two what would be the best for versatile use ...
I believe Photochromic lenses, are non-polarized, have a limited lifespan, and they definitely do not transition as fast as you'd like.
Fire iridium polarized is one of the darkest lenses Oakley offers, ideally suited for only the brightest of days. Probably not so capable in the shade. It gives the highest incidence of reflected "flares" of any lens I've tried.
Of the two, Photochromic would likely be most versatile, but less than optimal for Trail use.
Try both, buy both; you'll still want more...

I believe Photochromic lenses, are non-polarized, have a limited lifespan, and they definitely do not transition as fast as you'd like.
Fire iridium polarized is one of the darkest lenses Oakley offers, ideally suited for only the brightest of days. Probably not so capable in the shade...

Nailed it. As a devoted Fire Iridium worshipper I only have 1 that's polarized and it's noticeably darker than the regular. Seems like about half when I'm out there and it almost is! (FI is 16% transmission and FIP is 10%) It rarely gets used, FI handles all but very few of my bright sunny summer day rides.

You must try them yourself.

T
Photochromic is one of those where people either like them or they don't. You'd have to try them yourselves to find out which one you are. But realize the transition is not instantaneous, there will be a short gap in brighter light while they darken and likewise in darker light while they lighten. And they're affected by temperature.

It's not really valid to compare them to prizm trail, since trail is a custom contrast with a fixed trans %.

Fire polar is a quite versatile contrast lens. Some don't care for the greenish base tint while others don't mind. Again, people either like them of they don't.

But there is no single lens that's ideal for all conditions. Every one will have a weak spot, and others that don't have that same weak spot will have a different weak spot. Hence the radarlock functionality to quickly swap lenses, and the case which holds a spare lens or two.

Really there's a high degree of subjectivity with lens preferences. You're way better off trying them yourself than asking others' opinions.
Thank you for your detailed explanation of the difference between all those lenses...I just want to know that.I think for me FIP will be best because it also comes with a persimmon lens which I can use it overcast days....another question do Oakley radarlock Asian fit prizm trail sunglasses comes with an extra clear lens?

Latest Posts

Back