• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Received and tried out my rivet press from Linegear..

rmontez

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Wisconsin
First please let me start out by saying I only bought this and performed the nose bridge repair for my personal learning experience. In no way shape or form am I offering or would I ever perform this for anyone but myself.

I know I wanted to make a video of the process but no one was home to hold the camera and I am impatient. This whole procedure of taking out and putting new rubber and rivets back in took me less than 10 minutes.

The press is very user friendly and comes with 3 piece. A piece to press the rivet out, a piece to press it back in and a piece I don't know what it's for? I set it up on the two electrical boxes because the frame of the glasses hit the counter top and did not give me the angle I wanted on the press.

EB3CC6F3-C2D0-49BA-AB86-6E836D67E0B3_zpsjseip09f.jpg

Here are all the pieces broken down.

A7727CF7-A71C-49CA-90EF-7980210BD540_zpsmhg0etbs.jpg

pressed back in

B793CC69-3F23-47EC-9EA4-569ECA8D1DBA_zpsndzr57mw.jpg

Here is where I made a mistake by not changing the press pin to match the back side of the rivet. I used the same piece that I pushed the rivets out with. Not that big of a deal to me because these will always stay with me and just a pair I can beat up if need be. I can't even say I learned my lesson after the first time because as you can see I did it 3 times!

8C01500D-DC35-45BE-B1C6-1616CDD27CFC_zpsibpkya2w.jpg

Frame all back together. I have never seen or felt the X-Mans nose bridge tightening but I would have to guess they are tighter than what I ended up with. There is no more flex out on the orbitals than normal but they are not what I would call super tight. has anyone ever heard of Oakley using clear caulk as a padding for lenses? I can't imagine the person I got them from ever messed with changing lenses. All those little pieces all over the napkin are clear caulk I removed from the lens frame. It wasn't used to hold the lens in because none of it is on the lenses.

A97718E9-BE36-410B-A188-80A0E14CA63F_zpsjuxkbwo0.jpg

And here they are all back together. Took me 5 times as long to replace the ear stem gaskets than it did to repair the nose bridge. Over all I am very happy with how they turned out. They are now a very usable pair of daily wear glasses.

53417D83-FC0B-4520-BED0-766806DE0E32_zpsl3koxwls.jpg

Pretty cool that you were able to do it yourself. Awesome to hear that its possible to do. So, did changing the press pins to match result in no damage or just less damage to the pin?

Nice.

No, there's no clear caulk in an Oakley nosebridge - whomever you bought them from must have tried to DIY it...

The X-man's tuneup is tighter because of what he uses as replacement flex-coupler rubbers; it has nothing to do with the rivet process. If you can get them in and out without deforming things, that's a win. (TWSS)

The caulk was not in the nose bridge it was in the grove of the orbital. It wasn't used to seal or hold the lens in place because it wasn't stuck to the lens. A thin layer was just put in like someone tried to use it as padding.

That's what I was thinking I was just curious if anyone has ever heard of Oakley doing this? After cleaning out the orbital and making sure everything was tight the lens does not rattle.

Back