1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Feelin' Froggy

Feelin' Froggy Oakley Beginner

Ever since this discussion: http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-frogskins-exchange/4261-wtb-90s-positive-red-lenses.html I've been meaning to post pics showing the contrast of Gen 2 +Red and its current incarnation.

I went ahead and included a set of Ruby for the heck of it. The original +Reds are in Crystal Blacks, the current +Reds are in Blacklights, and the Rubys are in Whites.

Kind of funny how they actually don't look as different in the pics so much as they do in person. Figured I'd post anyway, bc I'm bored..

Red Vs. Red Vs...Red? - photo7.jpg

Red Vs. Red Vs...Red? - photo5.jpg

Red Vs. Red Vs...Red? - photo4-1.jpg

Red Vs. Red Vs...Red? - photo2-5.jpg

Red Vs. Red Vs...Red? - photo1-6.jpg

Red Vs. Red Vs...Red? - photo3-3.jpg

Attached Files:

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Menendez1293

Menendez1293 Oakley Enthusiast

Seem like the new ones have a lot more of a blue in them. I Deffinitly think the older ones are nicer

3. Feelin' Froggy

Definitely agree. I wish they'd go back to the original formula. I tried to get into the Ruby, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Are those pink lenses"?

4. Menendez1293

Menendez1293 Oakley Enthusiast

I do perfer them to look a little pinkish than be frubys. My echleons have a lot of fire in them so at certain lights and angles they actually look almost like fire. As for positive red I have been asked of they were a pinkish lens before. Positive red is one of my favorite lenses

5. jfiori

jfiori Oakley Beginner

Try swapping the +red lenses between glasses, and see what happens. The frame colour makes a huge difference in the way the lens looks. I took the violet iridiums out of a pair clear frames and put them in anti freeze and then looked at my matte black/violet and those were a lot darker, I actually had to take the violet lenses out of my matte black to try them and they looked the exact same in the anti freeze. They looked lighter and not as purple. Same thing here, your going from a frame that is translucent to a sold colour.

6. Feelin' Froggy

I've actually tried that a few times. My Crystal Blacks came w/Ruby in them. That's when I noticed it wasn't the same that I remembered (ie the pinkishness)as when I had the original Cry Black/+Reds, and my search for the older lenses started. The new +Reds are cool and all, just not the same, either.

7. yoshi1984

yoshi1984 I love working Dispatch

nice to see those dark red ruby's in the white frog's, and some clean socks and clean carpeting!:laugh:

8. gimpy

gimpy Oakley Beginner

Bumping this thread because I received a pair of old positive red lenses and they're sick. Why did Oakley ever update this lense? The current positive red (which is not bad in itself) should really have been called positive blue...

9. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Go take a look at the lenses from the 90's, barely any red to them, mostly black.

10. gimpy

gimpy Oakley Beginner

That's how I felt about my newer +red. Were pink from the sides, but almost no red--just deep blue/violet from head on. Speaking of which does anyone know around what year Oakley first release +red?