1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. michael.saklad

michael.saklad Oakley Beginner

Hey there all,

I have a pair of Mag 4 frames in Black (I believe it is called Carbide). Anyway...not long after getting them some years ago the nose bridge area began bubbling and losing its coating. I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced that. I am wondering if anyone has done refinishing on these glasses or if the coating can just be removed and they can be worn without a coating. Share your wisdom oh world of O!

M

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. john_morato

john_morato Oakley Beginner

I want some info as well. Bump

3. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

the ceramic
    coating protects the magnesium underneath which would oxidise if not protected. dont strip the coating, unless you are gonna recoat it immidiately

4. Oakley_Sight

Oakley_Sight Gotta love a good DOG

I believe dr. chop has refeb'd a mag 4 frame. You may want to talk to him to see if he can help you out.

5. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

it was a mag switch. i pm-ed him about a mag switch refurb a week ago with no reply so meh.

6. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

I think the frame is already anodized.
    www: "This process provides only fair corrosion resistance and no appreciable dimensional change,
    and is normally applied after machining. The coating is an excellent paint base and is used often on camera,
    optical, and electrical components as well as other components that require a non-reflective surface.
    Dark brown to black appearance is characteristic of parts processed through this chemical film treatment."

7. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Anodizing is a chemical etching, it wouldn't chip. Powder coat or some other paint/coating would.

8. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

That's right. What I meant to say is that I believe the base of the coating is already anodized and will not oxidize without paint.

9. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

anodising will wear off as well. and its a real thin coat... i think powdercoat is a more wear- resilient finishing..

10. Eks

Eks Oakley Beginner

Can Mag Four take the powder coating procedure? As powder coating materials require a cure temperature of 250 deg F(correct me if im wrong, just did a little research). I've two Mag Fours and the other one has corrosion on the frame and needs to be re-coated. Has anyone tried powder coating magnesium frames?