• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Refinishing Mag 4 Frames

beergrover

Oakley Beginner
Hey there all,

I have a pair of Mag 4 frames in Black (I believe it is called Carbide). Anyway...not long after getting them some years ago the nose bridge area began bubbling and losing its coating. I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced that. I am wondering if anyone has done refinishing on these glasses or if the coating can just be removed and they can be worn without a coating. Share your wisdom oh world of O!

M

I think the frame is already anodized.
www: "This process provides only fair corrosion resistance and no appreciable dimensional change,
and is normally applied after machining. The coating is an excellent paint base and is used often on camera,
optical, and electrical components as well as other components that require a non-reflective surface.
Dark brown to black appearance is characteristic of parts processed through this chemical film treatment."

I think the frame is already anodized.
www: "This process provides only fair corrosion resistance and no appreciable dimensional change,
and is normally applied after machining. The coating is an excellent paint base and is used often on camera,
optical, and electrical components as well as other components that require a non-reflective surface.
Dark brown to black appearance is characteristic of parts processed through this chemical film treatment."

Anodizing is a chemical etching, it wouldn't chip. Powder coat or some other paint/coating would.

Anodizing is a chemical etching, it wouldn't chip. Powder coat or some other paint/coating would.

That's right. What I meant to say is that I believe the base of the coating is already anodized and will not oxidize without paint.

Can Mag Four take the powder coating procedure? As powder coating materials require a cure temperature of 250 deg F(correct me if im wrong, just did a little research). I've two Mag Fours and the other one has corrosion on the frame and needs to be re-coated. Has anyone tried powder coating magnesium frames?

Latest Posts

Back