• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Remembrance Day Service

big bopper

Oakley Expert
Yorkshire, UK
The missus and I attend the Remembrance Day service at the church we were married in. The Church is in a very small parish of maybe a few hundred people at most and is in an area where many of the men would have been in the 'protected' industries of agriculture and fishing. Nevertheless, the length of the casualty list from the Great Wars read out at the beginning of the service never fails to astonish and appal in equal measure. I can count at least 3 sets of brothers and 3 members of a single family.

Lest we forget.....

I think what I appreciate most is how an entire country pulled together and sacrificed for the greater good. Particularly, women on the home front that picked up where their husbands left off. Pretty amazing considering you can't force some people to take a job today.

I understand it's for vets but it definitely used to be a team effort.

I think what I appreciate most is how an entire country pulled together and sacrificed for the greater good. Particularly, women on the home front that picked up where their husbands left off. Pretty amazing considering you can't force some people to take a job today.

I understand it's for vets but it definitely used to be a team effort.

Absolutely. The contribution and sacrifice of those left behind is certainly well acknowledged in the UK, referenced at services and has been the subject of many books and documentaries. Is it less so in the US hearno?

Absolutely. The contribution and sacrifice of those left behind is certainly well acknowledged in the UK, referenced at services and has been the subject of many books and documentaries. Is it less so in the US hearno?

This had me starting on a 5 page reply that got me quite angry so I'm just going to leave it alone. Not angry at you bopper, but at the thoughts that crossed my mind while I thought about a response. Suffice to say that I'm sickened by a lot of the people that inhabit my country today. Don't read too far in to that - I'm not referring to immigrants, I'm talking about nationals. Maybe I'm biased because of my job and the things I see people to to one another on a daily basis. A minor example would be when I see people fail to pay respect to our colors when the National Anthem is playing and don't stand or remove their hat. It seriously makes me want to grab them by their throat and squeeze until they pass out. I'm gonna keep going if I don't stop now. SO ANGRY.

I'm sorry this is changing this thread's direction but I figure it's in the same vein... I took these the other day while driving around at work. I was getting worked up again after dealing with some dirtbag that got under my skin. I try to see things from other people's point of view because I can't imagine how I would have turned out had I grown up like this but flip of the coin, show a little respect for yourself, your community, and other human beings. You don't have to be rich to be a decent person. Much the opposite in my opinion. Take a look...

2012-11-07123611.jpg

Don't let the boarded door fool you. People stay there.
2012-11-07123526.jpg

A minor example would be when I see people fail to pay respect to our colors when the National Anthem is playing and don't stand or remove their hat. It seriously makes me want to grab them by their throat and squeeze until they pass out. I'm gonna keep going if I don't stop now. SO ANGRY.

what he said

Latest Posts

Back