• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removing Hydro Dip - Tackled It Today

discodave

Go Navy!
I decided to re-do a pair of my monster dogs since I wasn't happy with the original effort. It was the first pair I did and hadn't gotten the hang of it yet.

I can tell you that once you dip a pair the stuff is really on there. I tried scraping it off and it wasn't coming off easily. I decided to boil the glasses in a pot of hot water. It worked.

After letting them boil for a while you can see everything starting to bubble up. I'd then take a piece out while the others were still boiling and scrubbed the piece with a steel scouring pad.

Here are some pics. It's now ready to prime, paint, and dip.

2egujyna.jpg

uhe8aje3.jpg

ju7edepy.jpg

veqygyma.jpg

e8ezu3us.jpg

zepa9aze.jpg

3udu2uja.jpg

wow!! That is awesome. I know blasting them is a tedious process. That seems to be the trick. Awesome.

Marc did a video one time removing FMJ coating with the same process. His looked fantastic as well after the process.

Yeah these glasses are well made so no need to worry about high heat. Just don't use a torch on them! ;-)

Well cerakote has to be baked on. So boiling should not be a problem.
Cerakote comes in both a heat cure and an air cure.

Cerakote only requires 200 F for their bake cure, boiling water we all know is 212 F, but Nylon (the main component in O Matter frames) melts somewhere above 375 F.

My main concern would be the 2-hour bake for Cerakote giving the frames a new set from allowing them to droop or whatever. Not sure if Dr Chop and CCL use air or heat versions.

I know ccl uses both versions. And i know there was a adjustment from cerakote on the bake time and temp for oakleys. Not sure of the details though.

I decided to re-do a pair of my monster dogs since I wasn't happy with the original effort. It was the first pair I did and hadn't gotten the hang of it yet.

I can tell you that once you dip a pair the stuff is really on there. I tried scraping it off and it wasn't coming off easily. I decided to boil the glasses in a pot of hot water. It worked.

After letting them boil for a while you can see everything starting to bubble up. I'd then take a piece out while the others were still boiling and scrubbed the piece with a steel scouring pad.

Here are some pics. It's now ready to prime, paint, and dip.

2egujyna.jpg

uhe8aje3.jpg

ju7edepy.jpg

veqygyma.jpg

e8ezu3us.jpg

zepa9aze.jpg

3udu2uja.jpg
What do you consider " a while "I've had mine in for 10 minutes now and it's. It put a dent in the stuff lol

Back