1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. oakleyman2424

oakleyman2424 Oakley Enthusiast

How do I safely remove a pair of earstems from a broken O-matter frame without damaging the mounting points or hinges? I'm specifically working with a pair of Minutes where the frame broke right down the center. I'd like to save the earstems and maybe customize a different pair if I can remove them safely.

Any help is appreciated.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

well if the frame front is scrap already just cut the frame at the hinge and the arms would be unscathed.. but otherwise MOST frames' arms will pop out with a twisting motion. if i remember correctly its usually top out first, then bottom.it always feels like its gonna snap and i refrain from doing it. again if the frame is scrap, just cut it out..

3. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

angle the earstem at 45% to the frame and then pop them!

4. Juleye Exclusive Eyewear

Juleye Exclusive Eyewear http://www.juleye.nl

The snappy feeling is the feeling you get when they earstems are fully open indeed. Follow Funky's tip and you'll be all fine.

Chris A Hardaway likes this.
  5. Oakley_Sight

Oakley_Sight Gotta love a good DOG

I use a guitar pick. Fold the stems fully shut & then place the thin edge of the pick up against the closed stem & the bottom of the orbit. As you open the arm it should cause the pick to go between it & the orbit therefore lifting the hinge up & cause it to pop the locating pin up & out of its hole & thus freeing the arm.

6. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

oh wow i never knew the 45degree trick. thats helpful! my earstems will never be threatened from
    breaking again

7. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Heed this warning, 'tread with care' even this method is no absolute guarantee that it will work: softly, softly, catchee monkey............
    Tony, that sounds quite an ingenuitive method. If it works.....lol

8. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

i have used the slow prying method before with success but it is tedious