• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removing Split Jacket Nose Bombs

Yeti

Frostmonkey
Staff member
Calgary Alberta
So I ran over my split jackets with my truck.

They actually survived, but need a couple transplants. Can you get replacement nose bombs? Also, does anyone have any experience removing said nose bombs? It seems simple enough but I don't think I am getting the right angle.

So I ran over my split jackets with my truck.

They actually survived, but need a couple transplants. Can you get replacement nose bombs? Also, does anyone have any experience removing said nose bombs? It seems simple enough but I don't think I am getting the right angle.

I have a couple of small ones. nalong86 gave me a whole orbital which was damaged and I still have the nosepieces. Here is the way I pulled mine off. Doing this with the lenses off and jaws open, push the nosepieces closed. While holding the nosebridge rotate the nosepiece downwards like you are still closing it. With the jaws there it would click into place. Without the jaws it keeps rotating and pops the clip off the pin.

Hey, PM me your mailing address and I'll pay the nosepieces forward.

Yikes! I'm impressed that they weren't renderless useless.

To remove the nose bombs, just unlatch the bombs and keep rotating straight down, they'll pop right out. Keep the jaws open like Maukarunner just said, beating me to it, LOL.

I have a couple of small ones. nalong86 gave me a whole orbital which was damaged and I still have the nosepieces. Here is the way I pulled mine off. Doing this with the lenses off and jaws open, push the nosepieces closed. While holding the nosebridge rotate the nosepiece downwards like you are still closing it. With the jaws there it would click into place. Without the jaws it keeps rotating and pops the clip off the pin.

Hey, PM me your mailing address and I'll pay the nosepieces forward.

Wow thanks a ton dude! Pm you shortly.

Yikes! I'm impressed that they weren't renderless useless.

To remove the nose bombs, just unlatch the bombs and keep rotating straight down, they'll pop right out. Keep the jaws open like Maukarunner just said, beating me to it, LOL.

If it wasn't for the lenses being seperated from their iridium they would still be wearable for riding.

Thanks for your help!

If it wasn't for the lenses being seperated from their iridium they would still be wearable for riding.

Thanks for your help!

Not a problem. There are many nice people on these boards who helped me out already so I'm just paying it forward.

Try looking at my post about removing the iridium and AR coatings from lenses in the DIY/mod section. I think the Split lenses are Hydrophobic and might not work but if they are already separated from the lenses then it might be easier. I would give it a shot anyways since the lenses are toast. Good luck man.

Not a problem. There are many nice people on these boards who helped me out already so I'm just paying it forward.

Try looking at my post about removing the iridium and AR coatings from lenses in the DIY/mod section. I think the Split lenses are Hydrophobic and might not work but if they are already separated from the lenses then it might be easier. I would give it a shot anyways since the lenses are toast. Good luck man.

I soaked them in acetone all night and it looks like I will be able to strip them completely.

I am a little concerned about the fit of them though, because it sure seems like the process is going to decrease the thickness.

I soaked them in acetone all night and it looks like I will be able to strip them completely.

I am a little concerned about the fit of them though, because it sure seems like the process is going to decrease the thickness.

I didn't think about acetone. I'll try that on my Flak lenses. I wouldn't worry about the thickness. The coatings are really thin.

I haven't had a chance to ship out the bombs yet but I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

I didn't think about acetone. I'll try that on my Flak lenses. I wouldn't worry about the thickness. The coatings are really thin.

I haven't had a chance to ship out the bombs yet but I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

It worked pretty well. I was a little worried about the harshness, but since they were ****ed anyway I figured I would give it a shot.

No worries about the bombs, at your leisure.

Latest Posts

Back