• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Sunglasses Repair?

Davemro

Oakley Expert
Canada
I have a question for all the experts out there:

Can these OakleySunglasses be fixed? Wondering if anyone knows about Oakley Repairs? Or services? They are my wife's favorite sunglasses and she managed to break them. She contacted Oakley and they told her she was SOL since they were discontinued and she should buy a new pair. She did, and the minute 2.0's doesn't fit at all as well as the original minutes. I would love to get these fixed for her. I have considered gluing the parts together, but it seems like it would be futile given the inherent weakness of such a narrow part of the earstem.
Any advice? Are they just spare parts now? Are there any modders out there that can fix this? Or, does anyone have a Left earstem for electric blue minutes that they are willing to part with?

20160328_181322.jpg
20160328_181327.jpg
20160328_181416.jpg

There are several products out on the market that say it can repair/bond MOST plastics. I don't know if anyone here who has tried any of them. The issue is oakley frames are made out of their own unique plastic. So the question is whether any of these products will actually work with on this type of plastic. I haven't found anyone who has tried any of the products I've listed below.....

There are 3 that I have researched that I will begin testing on in the weeks to come to repair a pair of frames that broke at the nose bridge. I've listed them in order of cost

1. Loctite Plastic Bonding System
2. Laser Bond
3. Bondic

Laser bond and bondic are supposed to be similar. I did see a youtube video someone posted with, I believe, Laser bond and they were repairing the arm of a pair of sunglasses. They looked like a cheaper pair. The fix did not work on them but the plastic might not have been compatible.

I'm hoping to try the Loctite option soon. I was actually going to drill a tiny hole and reinforce it with a small piece of metal. Once I do I was intending on posting my results

I've used Gorilla Glue on an M Frame broken in a similar spot, under the earsock.
Been "fixed" for four years now, unpinned.
Thanks guys. Your comments gave me an idea, actually. Since the break is under the earsock, I may be able to glue and reinforce it with some thin, rigid metal also bonded to the earstem and concealed under the rubber sleeve. I will post a picture of the results either way. A fixed pair of one of the best sunglasses Oakley's made (IMHO), or a wife rolling her eyes...

Thanks guys. Your comments gave me an idea, actually. Since the break is under the earsock, I may be able to glue and reinforce it with some thin, rigid metal also bonded to the earstem and concealed under the rubber sleeve. I will post a picture of the results either way. A fixed pair of one of the best sunglasses Oakley's made (IMHO), or a wife rolling her eyes...
You are welcome. If this is under the ear sock, you also might be able to use some heat shrink tubing to keep it in place while the glue cures

Thanks guys. Your comments gave me an idea, actually. Since the break is under the earsock, I may be able to glue and reinforce it with some thin, rigid metal also bonded to the earstem and concealed under the rubber sleeve. I will post a picture of the results either way. A fixed pair of one of the best sunglasses Oakley's made (IMHO), or a wife rolling her eyes

I did this to a pair of Eye Jackets (thin metal strip from a windshield wiper, glue and heat shrink tubing under the ear sock). Glue alone didn't work.

Also if you use gorilla glue you should be careful. It expands and takes time to cure so you will need to have whatever you are gluing securely in place so that it doesn't move since as the glue is expanding it will push whatever you are trying to glue, apart.

I thought I might try this until a looked into the properties of GG.

I think I going to try the loctite options first

Replacement stem is the best way to go.

I had a pair of Smith V90's that I sent in to get repaired. Believe they laser bonded the stem, and while I know it's never going to exhibit the same properties, it felt reliable. Lasted me a year until I just decided to sell the pair, still intact. You could go on a limb and ask Oakley CS for a solution if for whatever reason the replacement arm approach doesn't work.

Back