• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Repairing scratched lenses

C. Chaos

Oakley Expert
I have a pair of Crankcases that have some scratches on the insides of the lenses.

Have any of you ever repaired scratched lenses? I figured a light sand and then polish out with a Dremel may work, but I figured I would seek input before I tried it...

There is a thread about this. Repairing them is a moot point as it's just going to damage the lens further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if you were able to buff out the scratches without damaging the AR coating (which you wouldn't be able to), it would add optical distortion.

Sent from the other thread about this

I wouldn't attempt any such thing. Bending an O matter frame is a different story. Lenses....not me dude.

But the scratches are on the inside, not outside. I won't have to worry about damaging the iridium coloring...

I really think I can do it, but...still debating...they aren't too bad...

But the scratches are on the inside, not outside. I won't have to worry about damaging the iridium coloring...

There's an AR coating on the inside.

But by all means, if you think you can do it, go ahead and learn the hard way.

I'm not saying don't. I'm saying I would not even think of it. I burn toast. I have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever and I get frustrated when the yard rake misses a leaf. I cannot fix things!

I know people who could do it and would even offer to if I had that issue. I would get new ones and let them have at the old ones before I'd attempt it myself.

Please, by all means don't let us stop you young grasshopper, Sand a lens side to side...... Then buff on, buff off, buff on, buff off. Finally, buy a lens cash up, bank account down, cash up bank account down. When you are completed then we have the nosebridge kata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have some free time you want to waste then give it a go and when you are done order some new lenses.

Back