1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. C. Chaos

C. Chaos Oakley Beginner

I have a pair of Crankcases that have some scratches on the insides of the lenses.

Have any of you ever repaired scratched lenses? I figured a light sand and then polish out with a Dremel may work, but I figured I would seek input before I tried it...

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

There is a thread about this. Repairing them is a moot point as it's just going to damage the lens further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cyclerdoug

cyclerdoug Oakley Expert Premium Member

I wouldn't attempt any such thing. Bending an O matter frame is a different story. Lenses....not me dude.

4. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Even if you were able to buff out the scratches without damaging the AR coating (which you wouldn't be able to), it would add optical distortion.

Sent from the other thread about this

5. C. Chaos

C. Chaos Oakley Beginner

But the scratches are on the inside, not outside. I won't have to worry about damaging the iridium coloring...

I really think I can do it, but...still debating...they aren't too bad...

6. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

There's an AR coating on the inside.

But by all means, if you think you can do it, go ahead and learn the hard way.

flyer likes this.
  7. cyclerdoug

cyclerdoug Oakley Expert Premium Member

I'm not saying don't. I'm saying I would not even think of it. I burn toast. I have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever and I get frustrated when the yard rake misses a leaf. I cannot fix things!

I know people who could do it and would even offer to if I had that issue. I would get new ones and let them have at the old ones before I'd attempt it myself.

#1 Stunna! and Litos like this.
  8. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Please, by all means don't let us stop you young grasshopper, Sand a lens side to side...... Then buff on, buff off, buff on, buff off. Finally, buy a lens cash up, bank account down, cash up bank account down. When you are completed then we have the nosebridge kata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

I CONCUR!

Sent from the lake while keeping ***** on a leash and soaking it in the water before eating it.

kronin323 likes this.
  10. Wicked

Wicked Oakley Expert Premium Member

If you have some free time you want to waste then give it a go and when you are done order some new lenses.