• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Repairs?

kevinmuff

Oakley Beginner
What kind of warranty does oakley have on their x-metal glases?
I have a probably 2 year old pair of half x's, and they dont exactly sit on my face straight anymore. I cannot bear to wear them.
Can oakley help me out in anyway? Any reccomendations on what i should do?

Oakley only has a 1 year warranty on all frames and they will only honor it if you bought them from an authorized retailer, didn't get them at discount/clearance, and still have the original receipt.

Since yours is 2 years old, the only thing you can do is send them into customer service for a tuneup. I'm not sure if prices are different for different X Metals, but it's about $70-75 shipped. Turn around is about a week.

If you can walk them into HQ, it's only $65 same day service.

Oakley only has a 1 year warranty on all frames and they will only honor it if you bought them from an authorized retailer, didn't get them at discount/clearance, and still have the original receipt.

Since yours is 2 years old, the only thing you can do is send them into customer service for a tuneup. I'm not sure if prices are different for different X Metals, but it's about $70-75 shipped. Turn around is about a week.

If you can walk them into HQ, it's only $65 same day service.

By hq, do you mean any Oakley store?

By hq, do you mean any Oakley store?

No. He's referring to Oakley Corporate HQ at 1 Icon in Foothill Ranch CA.

And please confirm you have a HALF X? The Half X has no nosebridge tune up needed like its X Metal siblings...not sure why it wouldn't be sitting right on your face unless maybe something has gone bad with those plastic spring hinge assemblies that are on that model.

No. He's referring to Oakley Corporate HQ at 1 Icon in Foothill Ranch CA.

And please confirm you have a HALF X? The Half X has no nosebridge tune up needed like its X Metal siblings...not sure why it wouldn't be sitting right on your face unless maybe something has gone bad with those plastic spring hinge assemblies that are on that model.

Yup it's the half x. The hinges have play in them. And they were never 100% from day one but I never took action on it. Can I adjust the springs and hinges myself?

Your mileage may vary on this, but check with a local optometrist to see if anyone there is willing to make adjustments to Oakley sunglasses. There's a Lenscrafters I go to that sells Oakleys and a guy there that is willing to take time free of charge and make adjustments to my Whiskers when they don't sit right or feel as tight or just need a general adjustment. Now as far as my Juliets go, I just got those so I'll be sending them in under warranty if something happens.

Make some phone calls. You might be surprised in the long run.

the hinges on the half X are pretty intricate as X-metal Hinges go. its probably not impossible to pull it apart and try to rebuild it and see if that helps. Im Keen to do that to mine just to see how it works but dont have the time yet..

BTW Half X hinges always have wiggle, but not floppy.. if it is then maybe the springs are damaged..

Your mileage may vary on this, but check with a local optometrist to see if anyone there is willing to make adjustments to Oakley sunglasses. There's a Lenscrafters I go to that sells Oakleys and a guy there that is willing to take time free of charge and make adjustments to my Whiskers when they don't sit right or feel as tight or just need a general adjustment. Now as far as my Juliets go, I just got those so I'll be sending them in under warranty if something happens.

Make some phone calls. You might be surprised in the long run.

Def. worth a try especially considering that the parent company Luxicotta that owns Oakley also owns LensCrafters. And Pearle. And Ray Ban. And Sunglass Hut. And. And. And........................

Def. worth a try especially considering that the parent company Luxicotta that owns Oakley also owns LensCrafters. And Pearle. And Ray Ban. And Sunglass Hut. And. And. And........................

The trick is finding someone competent to work on your sunglasses. I've mentioned before that I walked into a Sunglass Hut with replacement lenses for my Whiskers and asked to have them swapped out. This is after I was told by Oakley that a SGH employee could do lens swaps. The girl tells me she doesn't feel comfortable changing lenses on expensive sunglasses and tells me to go elsewhere.

The guy I've been to at Lenscrafters has been awesome. Both times I've gone, there's been no hassle. He makes the adjustments to the arms and what not and won't let me leave until he's assured that it's a perfect fit.

That's probably because the people that work at SGH are Jr High and High School kids who are just making minimum wage. If you get a manager, he might be a bit more knowledgeable. They also use the same cleaning rag for every sunglass in there, not to mention the ones their customers bring in. I doubt they wash that cloth very often, if ever.

Lenscrafters, while a chain, is at least a better option IMO. They should be hiring and training their employees since they deal primarily in vision and not just selling merchandise.

Back