1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. jim jannard

jim jannard Founder of Oakley Premium Member Lifetime Member

I see that there are a couple of 3rd party lens companies out there and it seems like some people are being tricked into thinking this is a good idea. It isn't.

One of Oakley's best patents and technologies (I know because it is mine) is XYZ optics. We used specially taper corrected lenses for every model. But more than that, it is knowing where to cut the profile inside the lens blank. This is what corrects for prism distortion. If you have ever seen the dual laser, through the Alderson head form demo... you know what I mean. Shown here:

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/hdo/proven

The 3rd party companies do not do this. The optics are inferior. And it is easy for us to tell when the 3rd party lenses are in. The value of collectible Oakley glasses would be worth significantly less than one with an original lens (or Oakley replacement lens). Bad optics are a bad idea...

Just sayin'

Jim

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. NUMBER 2

NUMBER 2 Oakley Collector

Wow! Thanks for the insight Jim.

BTW, glad you decide to join us.

3. Brett28

Brett28 Here's my money, thanks

xyz and hdo are the reason i wear Oakley, hands down.

4. bad fishy

bad fishy Oakley Expert

The clarity has been obvious in my experience. I have never looked through a lens that had the same optical clarity as my oaks. No way I would ever use anything but Oakley lenses and would never recommend anybody else to do so either. Thank you for XYZ optics!

5. Chelas

Chelas Oakley Beginner

I bought a set of 4 visionary lenses for my monsterdogs, when I learned they were not making them anymore. And although they fit good and look great from the outside, I know its deff not the same protection when I use them outside . Therefore I wont buy anymore.

6. big bopper

big bopper Oakley Enthusiast

Can you ask them them to continue making replacement lenses for discontinued models then? Pointless making an x-metal frame that will last a lifetime if there aren't any lenses to put in them.

7. Chelas

Chelas Oakley Beginner

Is the XYZ optics currently being used by Luxotica as well?

8. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

and screws/trim too!! Update Romeo 1 lenses to have small divets at the flex points to avoid cracking. I figured this out, they shoukd be able to retool the software to add that to the cut program and solve that problem.

big bopper, Brett28 and Chelas like this.
  9. jim jannard

jim jannard Founder of Oakley Premium Member Lifetime Member

I'll ask about replacement stuff...

Jim

good2mod, mopiko, marc2040 and 4 others like this.
  10. V2oak

V2oak Oakley Man from Manila

Jim, why does the ruby lenses differs from the 1st gen to the newer release which has more yellow than red? can oakley make a more redish tint on the ruby lenses? I wish oakley can make a super real ruby lens that has more red tint on it