• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Lens Trap...

Really? So all of the above mentioned lenses have the same optical clarity? And you wear Costa's? Would've never guessed...
Yes the Ray Bans, SPY, and Costa Poly's, and Oakley have pretty much the same optical clarity. They are Base Prism lenses, most are In Mass Color, and also the coating for color, mirror, and scratch resistance are professionally optimized for clarity. That is typically the whole issue with aftermarket ones. There are no Base Prism aftermarket ones that I am aware of, and their coatings blur the clarity really bad.

I am working on doing a series of SPY lenses, for custom cut X-Metals. To offer a different variety of colors, HOWEVER with the same optical clarity that is expected. Collectors and not wearing them will not be interested, but daily wearers will.

Well, For work I wear Tightrope SI, non and Polar, but usually other than that I wear the Costa Brine with green glass polar. Wore them to RED too. Just to be an ass. ( all a Joke) . I like the Juliets, and wear the Finito Carbon VR50's early morning and dusk times. The Violets occasionally (best optical colors for me), and a set of these. Theses are the best all around for Oakley lenses. Radar Blue Ir
DSC04390.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG

I have posted this information in several different threads to make members aware of what they are doing when they purchase aftermarket lenses for their Oakleys. Most of the aftermarket lens dealer offer non prism based lenses, (no matter what they advertise), their coatings are inferior, and their mirror (iridium) finishes are not produced in proper equipment. This improper manufacturing process creates under magnification blurring, mis-alighned images, and horrible optics. This can be seen through a Stellar Projector and is what you eye is having to correct for you to see. The headaches are just some of the symptoms you get when wearing these types of lens. Examples of Oakley and Linegear lenses are shown below and both were done under exact same conditions.

Custom cut lenses are available through Dr. Chop, Xmetalmaniac, and Infinite Hero. These lenses can be created out of current issue Oakley lenses for your specific frame. Each member has their own way of producing them. This will allow for replacement lenses that are currently not available any longer. Oakley frames are so well built that they outlast the lenses. This is the way to keep your favorite frame still in use. Contact each member to discuss options for your specific frame. Numerous colors are available to choose from. The curvature of the donor lens must match the original curvature, to ensure no distortion in the lenses. Polarized lenses can also be done, and my process optically aligns the polarization to your angle of your frame.

s73w.jpg

rwrf.jpg

Have you send your findings to Linegear, I mean Japanese are very a stickler for accuracy and quality. If you explain them to improve them and let them test by you, it be marvelous!

LineGear is not going to listen. They are run by one person, I believe, and he does or contracts out his lens manufacturing. Lenses come on discs with a certain curvature. Then individual companies either get them already coated, or do the coatings themselves.

I have no desire to improve someone else's business. Why do that when I can do my own. However quality lenses and coated correctly are not cheap. I am happy with what I do, and many forum members are thrilled also. I just post my findings to show members what they get when purchasing outside factory Oakley lenses. As long as my quality and ways of cutting continue, LineGear is not competition. Not in my eyes anyway.

For now, other than oem cuts, I am not venturing into anything. I mean they can be done no problem, just need the lenses to cut, but have not sprung the money to purchase a group of lenses (SPY or others) to cut into xmetals. To much to invest at this point. Doing well with Oakleys. At some point will do it, but might be a year before I do. To much going on in my life. Thanks

Back