• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Lens Trap...

jim jannard

Founder of Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I see that there are a couple of 3rd party lens companies out there and it seems like some people are being tricked into thinking this is a good idea. It isn't.

One of Oakley's best patents and technologies (I know because it is mine) is XYZ optics. We used specially taper corrected lenses for every model. But more than that, it is knowing where to cut the profile inside the lens blank. This is what corrects for prism distortion. If you have ever seen the dual laser, through the Alderson head form demo... you know what I mean. Shown here:

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/hdo/proven

The 3rd party companies do not do this. The optics are inferior. And it is easy for us to tell when the 3rd party lenses are in. The value of collectible Oakley glasses would be worth significantly less than one with an original lens (or Oakley replacement lens). Bad optics are a bad idea...

Just sayin'

Jim

The clarity has been obvious in my experience. I have never looked through a lens that had the same optical clarity as my oaks. No way I would ever use anything but Oakley lenses and would never recommend anybody else to do so either. Thank you for XYZ optics!

I bought a set of 4 visionary lenses for my monsterdogs, when I learned they were not making them anymore. And although they fit good and look great from the outside, I know its deff not the same protection when I use them outside . Therefore I wont buy anymore.

I see that there are a couple of 3rd party lens companies out there and it seems like some people are being tricked into thinking this is a good idea. It isn't. One of Oakley's best patents and technologies (I know because it is mine) is XYZ optics. We used specially taper corrected lenses for every model. But more than that, it is knowing where to cut the profile inside the lens blank. This is what corrects for prism distortion. If you have ever seen the dual laser, through the Alderson head form demo... you know what I mean. Shown here: http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/hdo/proven The 3rd party companies do not do this. The optics are inferior. And it is easy for us to tell when the 3rd party lenses are in. The value of collectible Oakley glasses would be worth significantly less than one with an original lens (or Oakley replacement lens). Bad optics are a bad idea...

Can you ask them them to continue making replacement lenses for discontinued models then? Pointless making an x-metal frame that will last a lifetime if there aren't any lenses to put in them.

Can you ask them them to continue making replacement lenses for discontinued models then? Pointless making an x-metal frame that will last a lifetime if there aren't any lenses to put in them.

and screws/trim too!! Update Romeo 1 lenses to have small divets at the flex points to avoid cracking. I figured this out, they shoukd be able to retool the software to add that to the cut program and solve that problem.

Jim, why does the ruby lenses differs from the 1st gen to the newer release which has more yellow than red? can oakley make a more redish tint on the ruby lenses? I wish oakley can make a super real ruby lens that has more red tint on it

Latest Posts

Back