• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacing Display Case Hinges And Rivets - How To

Thanks guys. I hope other people can breathe new life into neglected cases with this info.
Yes. You helped me out of my misery and indeed it's close to impossible to get hinges like this, except for McMasterCarr. The only pitty is, that they do not ship to Germany or Europe. Finally a friend ordered them for me including the rivets. The parts are now on its way to me :) Also thanks for mentioning the part no., tat helped a lot.
Now when I do have everything here, I'll follow your finishing instructions. GREAT.

I’m aware this is an old thread and apologize for inquiring about something that may be settled.

I recently bought an X-Metal display on eBay and was disappointed with the condition. During cleaning, I removed the threaded rivet bolts and regrettably broke one.

During exhaustive web searching I found some interesting information including this thread.

I think it may be possible that the threaded river bolts are actually called “carriage bolts”. I think these carriage bolts are likely aluminum but could be stainless steel and use metric sizing.

They conform most closely to M6 Carriage bolts measuring...

Head: 16 mm
Thread: 6mm

Has anyone else found anything regarding this to possibly obtain replacements?

Carriage bolts have a square section under the domed head that is made to fit into a square hole in the mating part. This square is what keeps it from rotating when you tighten the bolt. I haven't seen a case with square bolt holes. The best I could find were the aluminum rivets that I could thread to replace the broken ones in mine. Those ones that I listed from McMaster Carr are the closest match I could locate.

Back