• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacing Lens in Vintage Frogskins?

tigbball5

Oakley Expert
So I just got a pair of vintage frogskins and the frame is in amazing condition. However, I'm trying to replace the lenses in them and having a lot of trouble. I have heated up the frame, no luck (and the heat destroyed one lens). Tried it without heat, no luck. Someone must have done this and been successful. What is the trick to it? Any thoughts on breaking the lens?

So I just got a pair of vintage frogskins and the frame is in amazing condition. However, I'm trying to replace the lenses in them and having a lot of trouble. I have heated up the frame, no luck (and the heat destroyed one lens). Tried it without heat, no luck. Someone must have done this and been successful. What is the trick to it? Any thoughts on breaking the lens?
I done it...

It just takes a big of muscle ... The frame should hold up... ;)

Alright thanks guys. I pushed from the upper inside of each lens extremely hard and they came out. I am a little disappointed that the newer frog lens doesn't fit as tightly as I thought it would.

Vintage Frogskins lenses are a whole lot harder to get in and out than on the 3rd gen Frogs.
And no, they are NOT compatible or interchangeable.
Some unscrupulous sellers mislead when desperate to unload their goods.

3rd generation ---> vintage
Vintage --/--> 3rd generation
That doesn't even make sense.
Maybe what you mean is, the 3rd gen lenses can fit into 1st gen frames, but the fit obviously is loose.
Like wearing size 40 on a size 36 waistline.

Last edited:
Back