• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacing Lens-Oakley Mars

erap

I should Work at Oakley
2 questions:

1. Oakley moon lens perfect fit as replacement lens for mars?
2. C clip will not break when doing lens swap?

2 Answers:

1. The Mars lens has a 'bump' to locate it correctly in the frame. This makes the lenses left/right specific. If the Moon lens does not have this bump then the answer would be no.
2. The C clip may break. I have had one shatter into 3 and fly off round the room, but others have just bent open and can be reused.

Put tape on the needle nosed pliers to protect the finish of the frame, always make me nervous.

I found this elsewhere - works pretty good. Have only swapped once - no issues.

"Easiest way to take them off without breaking them or f'ing up your frame is to squeeze the orbital a bit to relieve the tension on the ring, rotate it until the gap lines up with the split in the frame, and gently, VERY GENTLY pry it apart with a small flat screwdriver tip that is not textured or rough (the clear handled Craftsman are usually polished or chromed, but the red/blue striped have ridges)...You may need to heat them a bit so they don't snap, but I have done them many times that way. When you put them back on, do the reverse and use the inside jaws of most needle nose pliers as they have a flat and smooth surface so they won't mark the glasses or rings."

There are some vids out too.

there is a superficial one - by Walleva - piece of crap IMHO, doesn't really show the nitty gritty part with the clips - just removing and installing the lenses. Hope I am not violating any rules by posting a link to it here:

A better vid that provides a caution is by Thombs - nice overview of the Mars the good and the bad. But no actual handling of the clips, unfortunately, which is the really messy part.

Yea it kinda sucks. Use a putty knife or other strong thing blade shape to start to pry them open, but be prepared for them to break

I use the screwdriver in the slot method to open the c clip. I start with an ultra fine high quality flat screwdriver to start the process (so that I do not mark the frame coating by trying to force in a large blade), then switch to a heavier screwdriver to complete the task.

This does take a bit of force to do, so make sure you are working on a padded clean service to prevent damage to both the frame and the lense. There is also scope for sticking the screwdriver in your finger if it slips.

The after market c clips from Line Gear are not the same quality as the originals, but they do the job, and are easier to work with.

I am thinking about doing my own video of this Mars clip thingy. Maybe get my wife to video it - start to finish. No promises but perhaps a nice way to pay it forward. Maybe an iterative approach - get some comments and then adjust the vid until there is a good consensus of a few different tools and recommended approaches.

Thanks again qtrain23 for the lens cutting info. Now I can see I have some options for custom cutting some lenses for my Mars.

Any recommendations or maybe I should try it myself. I have have a Dremel tool. The lenses are a bit pricey to "practice" on though. Lots of folks point to Dr Chop and X-man. Perhaps I will check some local optometry shop see if they can recommend something.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back