• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Reproducing Bob Heads And Torsos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can guarantee they have a copyright on these! If he makes any money at all on these it is not a good idea, it would be illegal to sell them! I think it's safe to say this is not a good idea to do there is too much risk in doing this!

Just because China does it don't make it right...lol... Chinese companies are constantly being fined and having shipping containers seized at the ports, the products are destroyed and fines are levied. Do I think that it will be a problem with this in that grand scheme, I doubt it in the big picture but if say one two or three eventually make it to open market and Oakley does find out well...

I dont buy fake Oakley glasses, backpacks or watches and as a matter of a fact I report people on ebay that do... So what makes this any different in our eyes?

Frogskin Blends are hard to get so if I make some do you want to buy them?

My point is legally it is not acceptable and to me morally to me it isn't either... So would I buy? As they say on the Shark Tank "Im Out"

You can count me in too. Over here, Bobheads (when they do appear, which is rarely) are going for about 450 quid (700 bucks).

Here is my 2 cents. If they are not being sold as Oakley bobheads and they are not being mass produced there should be no problem. Oakley does not sell these. Now if some are made and a few people on the forum buy them as I said before there should be no problem. Now I would not put them up on ebay or have a web site selling them. You don't think the key chains are copyright infringement?? It is close enough to the Oakley "O". Now if they had a store or website selling these. They would get popped for sure. They make them and sell them to a few members on here. No one will bother with that. I work everyday with products and you know how much stuff I see that looks like APPLE. A ton. China reproduces everything to look like what ever is the hot selling item at that moment. Does anyone know if Oakley has a copyright on them?? Just because the O is on them does not mean they are registered. My guess is they are not. Why would they? It is a mannequin head. They do not copyright the display cases. You could make them too. Now if you put the O on there and sell them in mass as an Oakley product.......that is a problem. Here is an idea let's call them "bretthead" problem solved.

Cutting a keychain that's similar to the Icon logo is a bit different than using an Oakley product to make a mold for reproduction.

Apple stuff is made in China, the land of lawlessness when it comes to intellectual property, copyright, trademark infringement, etc. A lot of their **** that comes to the US is done so illegally and it slips through the cracks, like all of the fake pairs of Oakleys that you can go pay $150 on Craiglist for. If they made the copies and sold them for $20 and called them replica Oakleys it's still illegal since the design is part of the product and protected.

Just because Oakley doesn't sell the item to the public doesn't mean it's got free reign to copy.

Just because China does it don't make it right...lol... Chinese companies are constantly being fined and having shipping containers seized at the ports, the products are destroyed and fines are levied. Do I think that it will be a problem with this in that grand scheme, I doubt it in the big picture but if say one two or three eventually make it to open market and Oakley does find out well...

I dont buy fake Oakley glasses, backpacks or watches and as a matter of a fact I report people on ebay that do... So what makes this any different in our eyes?

Frogskin Blends are hard to get so if I make some do you want to buy them?

My point is legally it is not acceptable and to me morally to me it isn't either... So would I buy? As they say on the Shark Tank "Im Out"
Trust me I agree with you. Would I do it....No. Can I do it......Yes I have done model making and Vac-u-forming. If they are going to do it change something on it. Where the O is make it flat???
As I said before everything in the electronic section at Best Buy looks like APPLE with small changes. How many products start with "i" and I do not mean: iPod, iPad, iMac??
How many people on this forum cut their own stickers?? I see it every few months with someone looking for a certain color or the static O?? Same thing if they are being sold.
I respect your opinion and Legally it is not acceptable.

This Sparked a great Discussion, sounds like the best thing would be to Not do them.
Well thought out comments by all.

If making a copy of a Bob Head is treading on the gray area of legalities, then making a photocopy of printed material is also questionable, i.e. the thread about taking the exploded view of the Romeo 1 and blowing it up to print posters and selling them to board members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back