1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

By OakleyBoss on 1/11/15 at 3:01 PM
  1. OakleyBoss

OakleyBoss Moderator Staff Member Administrator

Decided it was time that we reviewed Revant Optics lenses. This review is for Frogskin Slate Grey/Titanium Polarized lenses. I'll also be reviewing their new line of "Elite" lenses, so stay tuned for those!

Full Disclosure: I was in need of some replacement lenses for my Frogskins as you'll see shortly and decided this would be a great opportunity to try some aftermarket lenses. Revant Optics was nice enough to send us these lenses for free, despite my warning that I would give a brutally honest review. Kudos to them for having confidence in their products, and a brave marketing team.

My everyday pair of Oakley's are these Polished Black/Black Iridium Polarized Frogskins. To put it lightly, they have taken a beating. Aftermarket lenses and parts are definitely a controversial discussion lately, so I am excited to be able to try them out.

Here's the link to the lenses in this review and a shot of all the lenses when they arrived:

Polarized Stealth Black Replacement Lenses for Oakley Frogskins | Free Shipping, Revant Optics

Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Lenses.JPG

Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Oakley_Frogskins_Polarized.jpg

I started with the Frogskins lenses, since this was the original reason I started looking for lenses. Each set of lenses comes in a Revant microfiber bag and are packed in plastic as seen below. Overall pretty standard stuff, the bag is slightly larger than the microfiber bag Oakley's lenses come in, and could probably be used for a pair of sunglasses if needed.

Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Frogskins_Lenses.JPG
    Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_frogskins_lenses_2.JPG

Frogskins have been my everyday pair for the last 2+ years, specifically these Black frames, since they are in my opinion, extremely versatile. Wearing a suit? Pop on Frogskins. Going to the beach? Frogskins. They are great. However, all of that wear definitely takes its toll. Just got back from the bar? Frogskins take a tumble down the stairs. Hanging at the beach? Frogskins fall in the water. You get the idea.

Here is a picture of what my lenses looked like after 2 years of hard wear(pictured left). On the left is my lens(yes I know it's bad), on the right one of the new Revant lenses(so that's what these are supposed to look like huh):
    Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Oakley_Frogskins_Old_Lenses.JPG

First Impressions of the lenses after unboxing: The Revant Optics lenses are a "Slate Grey" tint with a "Titanium" coating. I'd describe it as almost a mix between Black Iridium and Chrome Iridium, but definitely more towards the black end of the spectrum.

Next up, was popping the lenses into the frame and actually seeing how they look. First off, It was nice to actually be able to see out of my lenses again, and not be looking through 100 tiny scratches! I almost exclusively purchase extremely dark and polarized Oakley lenses for everyday use. Protecting your eyes is no joke.

The biggest difference I noticed was that the Revant lenses seemed significantly darker. In addition the iridium coating seemed much more prominent compared to standard Oakley lenses. I try only to wear Iridium lenses, since being able to see eyes through sunglasses seems odd to me. I believe partly that my Frogskins coating had begun to peel off, but I also do think that the Iridium coating on these lenses seemed stronger, and more comparable to Chrome Iridium lenses, which are very mirrored.

So I guess this should be the time when I say...maybe I was wrong. In the past I ONLY bought Oakley lenses, and had no problem plunking down $80-$100 for replacement Black Iridium Polarized lenses. After the Holiday's and everything else, I really didn't feeling like spending another $100 on lenses, which was my reason for turning to Revant. I must say, I have been pleasantly surprised. Obviously for any collectible pairs you are going to want original Oakley lenses and parts. But if you have an everyday pair, that gets wear & tear, I'd say for the price, the Revant lenses are worth looking at! It looks like the Revant marketing team gets to keep their jobs....for now :)!

Enough talking already. Now let's open this up to any questions you may have! I will try to snap some pictures in daylight in the coming days, and will update this appropriately. Also stay tuned for my review of the Revant "HC3 Elite" lenses.

Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Frogskins_Polarized_lenses.jpg
    Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Frogskins_Iridium_Lenses.JPG

Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Oakley_Frogskins_Revant_lenses.JPG

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad

Comments

Discussion in 'Oakley Frogskins Discussion' started by OakleyBoss, 1/11/15.

1. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

Cool review!

Very cool of em to send to free stuffs!

Let me know if you need my help for another review!

Revant Optics and OakleyBoss like this.
    2. OakleyBoss

I actually do want to try to get some of their lenses in the hands of another member! I'll keep the forum posted!

Revant Optics likes this.
    3. Jontoad

Jontoad Oakley Expert

i don't know if their lenses are any different now than they were in early 2014, but the ones i tried were horrible. i had a purple set for a gascan and the lens was wavy. it was thicker in some parts than others. if you held it up and moved it around you could see things distort and change shape like looking into a fun house mirror. then when you held them at an angle to test the peripheral vision in front of some newsprint things got fuzzy and out of focus. i couldn't even justify keeping them around for a beater pair.

the only aftermarket lenses i have thought were ok was Fuse lenses. i have a set of their Blaze red for my square wire 2.0.

4. OakleyBoss

Not sure if they're different, and I didn't look at gascan lenses so I can't comment. What I will say, is the frogskins lenses fit identical to my Oakley lenses. No waves (even just took a second look), or thickness issues. I snapped some pictures to show the fit, and close ups of the lenses for any waves. I do know they went through some major changes transitioning to Revant Optics, so they may have ironed out some issues during the last year.

Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Oakley_Frogskins_Lenses_2.jpg Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Oakley_Frogskins_lenses_3.jpg Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Oakley_Frogskins_Lenses_4.JPG Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review - Revant_Oakley_Frogskins_Lenses_5.jpg

5. ALynch

ALynch Oakley Beginner

I have bought several pairs of Revant lenses over the past year for my Holbrooks, Jupiter Squared, and Garage Rock. The Iridium is definitely a lot more vibrant than the stock Oakley lenses, and in my opinion look much better. I only had one issue with the Garage Rock lenses, they fit really loose and would rattle inside the frames. I emailed them and told them my issue and within 2 days they had my new pair shipped out with no questions. The new pair fit much better and they didnt even ask for the old pair back. Definitely very happy with their products and service.

6. Ex_Oakley_employee

Ex_Oakley_employee Oakley Beginner

Personally I think the guys at Revant do a great job. I've seen a few disparaging posts about aftermarket lenses. Fair enough, some bad experiences, but lets not forget there are some notoriously bad and horrible OEM lenses floating about.

If we are talking Frogs, the Fire Polarized Revant lenses are IMO better than what would come as stock from Oakley. They look absolutely fantastic and you wouldn't see a difference in optical quality. The stealth black ones look pretty badass too.

7. I'm curious what that statement is based on. I'm not trying to be a jerk but we've seen lenses before that to the naked eye look perfect but when checking for optical distortion vs Oakley lenses in a controlled environment they fail miserably. If the cheaper lenses really do offer the same quality for less I'd be interested for sure.

Infamous likes this.
    8. Infamous

Infamous Oakley Enthusiast

For your next trick, I suggesting putting a Zales diamond into a Tiffany setting!

9. Ex_Oakley_employee

Ex_Oakley_employee Oakley Beginner

If you take them into the lab, I'm sure you will find differences to the optical quality because quite simply they are not made in the same way. Although I can tell you that as time is moving on, we may well be now at the point where as Oakley technology has reached a limit for the current gen of lenses, the third party companies making lenses are catching up. Not only have I read on this very forum about someone being very impressed with the Revant Elite HC3 lenses, I was speaking to an ex colleague who also conceded how impressed he was with the ones he got his hands on, fully admitting it was better than the OEM stock lenses on some Holbrooks. (I think that was also mentioned in another thread on this forum but I can't find the link).

Anyway, I was talking about with my eyesight (reasonable) that I cannot tell any difference between (in this example) a Revant pair of Fire lenses and an OEM pair if I was wearing them for the day. Whilst I appreciate for some on this forum they would never, ever consider that good enough, for 90% of people who wear sunglasses and Oakley that's all they care about. It's why companies such as Revant that whilst are not affiliated with the O brand in any way, still do so well.

As I also said before, there are some horrible OEM lenses that if a company like Revant produced people would be up in arms. Sometimes the third party lenses also have the benefit (like the fire ones I mentioned) of also looking better.

A big however................

I fully admit I am probably a hypocrite though, when I worked for the company I would always instruct and advise suppliers to stay away from stocking aftermarket lenses, talking down their quality etc., but that was part of my job, protecting the brand as well as profits, something Oakley still do and who can blame them?