• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Revant Optics HC3 Elite Holbrook Lens Review

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
This review is for the Revant Optics HC3 Elite Holbrook Replacement Lenses. Revant's "HC3 Elite" lenses, seem like a competitor to Oakley's new "Prizm" lenses, but we'll talk more about that later.

Check out my Frogskins review here: Revant Optics Frogskins Polarized Lens Review | Oakley Forum

Full Disclosure: I was in need of some replacement lenses for my Frogskins and looked at Revant Optics. Revant Optics was nice enough to send us these HC3 Elite lenses free since they were eager for us to try them, despite me telling them I would be brutally honest. Kudos to them for having confidence in their products, and a brave marketing team.

Here is the link to the lenses in this review, and a shot of all the lenses when they arrived:

Polarized HC3™ Stealth Black Replacement Lenses for Oakley Holbrook | Free Shipping, Revant Optics

Revant_Lenses.JPG

Revant_Elite_HC3_Holbrook_lenses.jpg

As I mentioned in my other review, these lenses came in a Revant Microfiber bag, which is pretty similar to the ones Oakleys come in. First impression of the elite lenses, out of the box, was that they seemed no different than anything else. Basic black lenses, though I do prefer an Iridium or "MirrorShield" coating as Revant calls it, which is a reflective coat on the lenses. Just a personal preference, but I would like to see that in the future on these lenses.

Revant_Elite_Microfiber_bag.jpg

Revant_Elite_HC3_Holbrook.JPG

For this review, I used my Clear/Chrome Iridium Holbrooks. After unboxing the lenses, I popped them in to see what all the hype was about. The fit was perfect, pretty much the same as the original Oakley lenses. The lenses look very dark as they are the "Stealth Black" color, though I still would prefer a mirror coating (Fine, I'll let it go :))

Revant describes their "Elite HC3" lenses on their site as: " HC3™ lens technology enhances your vision with high clarity, comfort and contrast to reduce eyestrain and allow you to see the world in vivid accuracy."

Finally after popping them in, I went for a stroll outside. At first in the daylight, I noticed no difference. To me it seemed like normal Black lenses. Then, I switched back to my standard lenses, and BAM! I noticed a huge difference.

Especially in high sunlight environments, I noticed that where my standard Oakley lenses would whitewash out most colors (I.e the blue in the sky around clouds, due to the sunlight), my Revant lenses showed a vivid blue and outlines of clouds. Now in the interest of honesty - I have not tried Oakley's new Prizm lenses, though it sounds very similar to these lenses. I was comparing the HC3 Elite lenses to standard Oakley lenses, and saw a noticeable difference. I will try to capture some pictures of this, but it is extremely difficult through a camera.

Overall, I definitely see the application of these lenses. The contrast and color is undeniably better
compared to standard Oakley lenses. To be honest, going in I had fairly low expectations, since I wasn't buying most of the marketing language selling me on "High Definition Lenses", but I will eat my words and say I am very surprised. Right now, the HC3 is only available in select frames, but I do look forward to them expanding further, and hopefully adding a "MirrorShield" Iridium coating, since this is a must have for a lot of people.

Now let's open it up to Questions, comments etc!

Revant_Elite_Holbrook_Clear_Frame.JPG

Revant_Elite_Holbrook_Review.JPG

I've had a couple pairs of Revant lenses in the past, and had mixed results. I got a pair of Yellow for my Flak's, and they were pretty solid. Only issue was they were a bit harder to install than OEM lenses. Got a pair of Blue lenses for Antix, and they were solid as well. Optical quality was good enough for every day use. Oakley quality? No. But not gas station $10 rack quality either.

I tried a pair of Blue lenses for my Flak's, and had issues. First, they were much harder to install than OEM. It took me about 20 minutes, and my hands actually hurt afterwards from force needed. I may have been ok with it, but noticed that the lenses didn't have consistent tint/color throughout. The top portion of the lenses were a lighter shade than the middle and there are issues on the sides as well. I thought at first it was because of more light coming in around frames in those areas, but blocked the openings and still noticed it. It is distracting and I ended up returning them, which Revant handled very professionally.

I tried Revant again for a pair of yellow Fast Jacket lenses. Quality was good on them, but again the fit is just a bit off from OEM. Installing & removing them at first was fine, but after a custom hydrodip job on the frames, it became very difficult to get the Revant lenses installed. OEM was fine. I didn't want to risk forcing the lenses too much and either breaking them or causing paint job to crack, so I sold them.

My take on Revant overall: decent low priced option if you're having trouble finding a certain color, but for sport frames where you'll possibly be changing lenses frequently, the slight differences b/t OEM could cause problems. My opinion is I'd only get Revant if they were about 20-30% of the cost of OEM lenses, or I couldn't get OEM lenses at all.

I will add, I'm not sure people will pay $53 for Revant lenses instead of Oakley lenses though. Doesn't seem like enough differentiation. $20 for non-pol and $30 to maybe $35 for polarized seems like a better price point.

I've had a couple pairs of Revant lenses in the past, and had mixed results. I got a pair of Yellow for my Flak's, and they were pretty solid. Only issue was they were a bit harder to install than OEM lenses. Got a pair of Blue lenses for Antix, and they were solid as well. Optical quality was good enough for every day use. Oakley quality? No. But not gas station $10 rack quality either.

I tried a pair of Blue lenses for my Flak's, and had issues. First, they were much harder to install than OEM. It took me about 20 minutes, and my hands actually hurt afterwards from force needed. I may have been ok with it, but noticed that the lenses didn't have consistent tint/color throughout. The top portion of the lenses were a lighter shade than the middle and there are issues on the sides as well. I thought at first it was because of more light coming in around frames in those areas, but blocked the openings and still noticed it. It is distracting and I ended up returning them, which Revant handled very professionally.

I tried Revant again for a pair of yellow Fast Jacket lenses. Quality was good on them, but again the fit is just a bit off from OEM. Installing & removing them at first was fine, but after a custom hydrodip job on the frames, it became very difficult to get the Revant lenses installed. OEM was fine. I didn't want to risk forcing the lenses too much and either breaking them or causing paint job to crack, so I sold them.

My take on Revant overall: decent low priced option if you're having trouble finding a certain color, but for sport frames where you'll possibly be changing lenses frequently, the slight differences b/t OEM could cause problems. My opinion is I'd only get Revant if they were about 20-30% of the cost of OEM lenses, or I couldn't get OEM lenses at all.

Good points here.

I will add, I'm not sure people will pay $53 for Revant lenses instead of Oakley lenses though. Doesn't seem like enough differentiation. $20 for non-pol and $30 to maybe $35 for polarized seems like a better price point.

Yeah this was the main reason I first looked at them. I originally bought my Oakleys for $120 with grey lenses, and immediately got Black Iridium Polarized lenses for $80. When I wanted replacements, another $80 seemed insane, especially since you can buy a whole pair (not polarized) for $120. I started looking at Revant, since they were $32.00 for Polarized vs. $80, which is substantial.

So far, I have not noticed a major difference in quality from Oakley lenses, however I have not tested them in various conditions, and will update as I do so.

I'm still skeptical. I do own a few pairs that are in minor need of something new, though. I'd indeed like to see how the hold up for the long haul.

@pistolpetefan23 Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Ice Blue pair for your Flaks may have been defective if they were causing you these issues. All our lenses are covered under a 365 day manufacturer guarantee against defect. Feel free to send me a PM or email (kk@revantoptics.com) and I'll be happy to see what I can do to get you fixed up here!

Also, what type of custom hydrodip did you do? I'd love to hear more about this.

I'm still skeptical. I do own a few pairs that are in minor need of something new, though. I'd indeed like to see how the hold up for the long haul.
Give us a try! In addition to the 365 day manufacturer guarantee against defect, we also offer a 60 day warranty if for any reason you're not completely satisfied with your purchase. You can simply return your lenses in the original packaging for an exchange or full refund. For US residents, we're also able to send you a return shipping label that will save you any return shipping costs for either scenario!

-Kevin

Thank you for the response. I did return the lenses at the time (approximately 18 months ago) and was very pleased with the prompt response and professional nature of the transaction. Thank you.

Thanks for your review...it's what convinced me to pull the trigger on a set of HC3 Elite lenses in Emerald Green Mirrorshield for my first pair of Holbrooks. Couldn't be happier with the upgrade! :)

Nice review. I have only tried the "regular" polarized lenses from Revant. I have ordered lenses for my Half Wire 2.0, Whiskers and half jackets. So far so good...the lenses have fit perfectly...I wish there was a bronze iridium or mirror coat option though.

Are the HC3 Elite lenses worth the extra price from the regular polarized ones?

Nice review. I have only tried the "regular" polarized lenses from Revant. I have ordered lenses for my Half Wire 2.0, Whiskers and half jackets. So far so good...the lenses have fit perfectly...I wish there was a bronze iridium or mirror coat option though.

Are the HC3 Elite lenses worth the extra price from the regular polarized ones?

I would say I saw a fairly substantial difference between the two lenses - mainly in the color contrast. The HC3's not only blocked out the sun like typical Polarized lenses, but it didn't drown out the colors. Seems to be similar to Oakley's Prizm, with significant applications in sports!

Back