• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Revant Optics HC3 Elite Mirrorshield Lens Review

@Ventruck thank you. As someone who has the same hobby as I do and pursues it with a passion (and who's opinion I trust), what is your personal opinion on this company and their products? Up there with Oakley lenses, very close, or not quite but certainly useable and safe?

For the HC3 Elites in particular, they're one of the closest to OEM I've used. It is true that unless we have the proper test equipment, we really don't know how close premium offerings are, but they're up there imo. Thickness and feel is very familiar, lenses are tapered and curved like OEM. Hydrophobic properties are there, too.

Main thing to watch out for is tint with the colored finishes. Aesthetically you can tell they're arguably more reflective than OEM, but in turn the effect on the tint is stronger...which can be reminiscent of cheaper styles. Hence why I advise neutral setups. The straight up black option (which I guess is now named "Burnside Black) is what impressed me because the color definition is totally there.

I also tried their (now named) Owyhee Red. It was still clear, and technically close to Ruby Iridium, but the functional upsides of the Black lenses >>>> aesthetic gain. Plus I think the Black is their signature look.

Revant Optics HC3 Elite lens impressions and review (Jawbone/Racing Jacket)
Aftermarket firestorm: Revant HC3 Elite "Fire Red" and Fuse Fuse+ "Blaze Mirror"

Sorry, work happens.

@Ventruck have you looked at anything they have that would approach Fire Iridium?
That black interests me a little, based on your color definition statement.

Sorry, work happens.

@Ventruck have you looked at anything they have that would approach Fire Iridium?
That black interests me a little, based on your color definition statement.

Within the HC3 range, I'm not aware of anything like Fire Iridium. I'm pretty sure Fire is running a non-neutral base to start, so most Fire-looking lenses are going to deliver a blue tint when looking through.

As far as I know, Fire is an amber base, which gives it a green hue. That's the tint I see with them. For riding I would have to have something in that range that tint gives me. I am so familiar with that lens that I get skittish thinking I have to change!

As far as I know, Fire is an amber base, which gives it a green hue. That's the tint I see with them. For riding I would have to have something in that range that tint gives me. I am so familiar with that lens that I get skittish thinking I have to change!

If your pair still has oem availability, I see little reason to change right now.

I'm honest when I say that both aftermarket brands I've tested for seem like legit quality, but I've got 4 OEMs to run through my Jawbones. It's hard to make a case for why I'd not use them. It's not like a Romeo or something, where the concept of "beater lenses" is a real thing. Whole point of wearing Oakley sport pairs is the quality of the frame and lenses. They were designed with the goal of being the best options to take a beating.

But then at the same time, I really like the Black HC3. The tint is a tad cooler/blue than Oakley's Black and Ice Iridium, but nowhere as strong +Red. Feels like a legitimately fine-tuned setup. It's just that I hold my breath when it's literally at the same price point as OEM Jawbone lenses. I could see myself buying it in the context of already trying Black Iridium/Ice/VR28 BI (which I have) and just looking for this fine tuning. So really, I boil it down to that particular circumstance if you have a currently-supported pair.

I have the Fire lens for my M frame from Revant and they have a bluish tint to them, here is a video I just uploaded. Sorry if it goes on too long doing the same thing.

If your pair still has oem availability, I see little reason to change right now.

I'm honest when I say that both aftermarket brands I've tested for seem like legit quality, but I've got 4 OEMs to run through my Jawbones. It's hard to make a case for why I'd not use them. It's not like a Romeo or something, where the concept of "beater lenses" is a real thing. Whole point of wearing Oakley sport pairs is the quality of the frame and lenses. They were designed with the goal of being the best options to take a beating.

But then at the same time, I really like the Black HC3. The tint is a tad cooler/blue than Oakley's Black and Ice Iridium, but nowhere as strong +Red. Feels like a legitimately fine-tuned setup. It's just that I hold my breath when it's literally at the same price point as OEM Jawbone lenses. I could see myself buying it in the context of already trying Black Iridium/Ice/VR28 BI (which I have) and just looking for this fine tuning. So really, I boil it down to that particular circumstance if you have a currently-supported pair.

Still have plenty of OEM access in the FI...unfortunately my preferred shape isn't always available (Range) so I stock up whenever I find them. Thanks for the descriptions and recommendations in the cycling context, the Black HC3 does sound like a legitimate user and I may pop one in at some point, if someone handed me one on a ride, for instance. With the availability of OEM, even with an old-school original Radar user like myself I will holdout for originals for the money.

@transistor281 Could you take some shots of those outside for me? Not trying to be a pain in the ass but I'd really like to see that particular tint from both sides, outdoors!

Thanks man!

Do keep in mind the purple in the center of the lens. Revant was kind enough to send me a second pair for free, (even they agreed there was too much purple in the center), 2nd pair looked identical to the first lol so maybe its just an M Frame issue? I'm not sure but other than the purple in the center they have been great. I'll post better pictures through the lens later, these were some quick - me being lazy ones
124x1js.jpg

2wq4wle.jpg

24ec5z6.jpg

2hpt65d.jpg

wa6ebs.jpg

2w6vrd0.jpg

Back