• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Review: Qtrain's Triple Stands

Lexkempo

Frog Fanatic
Montreal - South Shore
I'm not much of a Shakespeare , and I know even less in Engineering.

This is a few of my thoughts and opinions on these OEM style Oakley plastic stands.

What I do know is that I LIKE these stands. These stands were designed and created by our very own @qtrain23. I admit I have very limited experience with original OEM stands save the single I recently obtained from @Dyeraudio (thanks again)

When I saw Q creating, selling and shipping these custom stands I knew I had to get at least one... I got two!

And I regret not getting two more!!!

First and foremost, I was very impressed with the build quality of these stands. I've never consciously seen or held anything 3D printed, but these parts are very well designed and fit better together than most children's puzzles or all Ikea furniture ever.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421434008.905629.jpg

They seem to hold up well under pressure, I've used mine to hold up the Wife's acetate frames and and my Xmetal frame without a hiccup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421434118.072797.jpg

Even on a 'mushy' surface like my kitchen table all the frames stayed in their well thought out 'nose groove' and arm stems, and in my case they've been nothing but rock solid.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421434265.113453.jpg

I initially bought these stands to hold my wife and kids' frames so they take up the least amount of room possible in my case, and take into consideration that I am very gentle with my Oak's ... But these stands get the Job DONE!!!

NO MORE over inflated single, double, triple (or more) stands from sketchy EBay sellers
NO MORE waiting one month for wether your package might arrive from Asia or who knows where... These are North American MADE ('Murica!) and easily ship North in a 6x6x6 cube in about a week.
NO MORE wishing the stands came in other colours than Henry Ford black! I also heard there might be more customizability coming soon too... Stay tuned!!! ;)

I am very please with these stands! Good communication; fast ship, good product for my needs all done by a solid Forum Member!

I couldn't ask for more.

The only 'con' I've noticed is that I'm unsure about the durability of 3D printing. In comparison with the OEM stands which are probably injection molded plastic, Q pieces are 'bendier'. While we ALL know plastic flexing doesn't mean cheap my any means (ahem*Frogskin Frames*ahem) I'm not sure I'd go and throw these things into a wall with the mindset 'they can take a hit'! In OEM stands; the plastic feels 'harder' and maybe more likely to take a fall or a smack into a wall:

That being said,

We all know stands are made to go into our cases and hold our most precious collectible Oak's!
So these are definitely up to the task!!!

Thanks again Q

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421435092.013021.jpg

I'm not much of a Shakespeare , and I know even less in Engineering.

This is a few of my thoughts and opinions on these OEM style Oakley plastic stands.

What I do know is that I LIKE these stands. These stands were designed and created by our very own @qtrain23. I admit I have very limited experience with original OEM stands save the single I recently obtained from @Dyeraudio (thanks again)

When I saw Q creating, selling and shipping these custom stands I knew I had to get at least one... I got two!

And I regret not getting two more!!!

First and foremost, I was very impressed with the build quality of these stands. I've never consciously seen or held anything 3D printed, but these parts are very well designed and fit better together than most children's puzzles or all Ikea furniture ever.

View attachment 124570

They seem to hold up well under pressure, I've used mine to hold up the Wife's acetate frames and and my Xmetal frame without a hiccup.

View attachment 124571

Even on a 'mushy' surface like my kitchen table all the frames stayed in their well thought out 'nose groove' and arm stems, and in my case they've been nothing but rock solid.

View attachment 124572

I initially bought these stands to hold my wife and kids' frames so they take up the least amount of room possible in my case, and take into consideration that I am very gentle with my Oak's ... But these stands get the Job DONE!!!

NO MORE over inflated single, double, triple (or more) stands from sketchy EBay sellers
NO MORE waiting one month for wether your package might arrive from Asia or who knows where... These are North American MADE ('Murica!) and easily ship North in a 6x6x6 cube in about a week.
NO MORE wishing the stands came in other colours than Henry Ford black! I also heard there might be more customizability coming soon too... Stay tuned!!! ;)

I am very please with these stands! Good communication; fast ship, good product for my needs all done by a solid Forum Member!

I couldn't ask for more.

The only 'con' I've noticed is that I'm unsure about the durability of 3D printing. In comparison with the OEM stands which are probably injection molded plastic, Q pieces are 'bendier'. While we ALL know plastic flexing doesn't mean cheap my any means (ahem*Frogskin Frames*ahem) I'm not sure I'd go and throw these things into a wall with the mindset 'they can take a hit'! In OEM stands; the plastic feels 'harder' and maybe more likely to take a fall or a smack into a wall:

That being said,

We all know stands are made to go into our cases and hold our most precious collectible Oak's!
So these are definitely up to the task!!!

Thanks again Q

View attachment 124573

Good review.

Regarding your con, I wondered the same thing, whether they'd droop over time under load. He got back to me after testing a set for a few weeks; no problems so far.

Personally, I got one of his watch stands, printed with the same stuff. It's holding a GMT, which, as those of you who own one (or a Judge) know, is like the HEAVIEST WATCH EVER at over 1/2 lb (9+ oz).

The GMT's been on the stand for IDK, 2-3 weeks now? Still holding up under that heavy load just fine... :hi:

Lol that was so random and awesome. Curious -- is 3 as many as you plan on going? Ever think of making a fiver or a sixer or is the stability a question at that point?

It could be done, but stability is probably an issue, as well as use. It's gonna be too tall to fit anywhere if you go over 3. You may be able to do 4, but that's really pushing it

Back