1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

3D Printing has advanced significantly over the past years and has influenced the design process and the ease of manufacturing parts for industrial applications. With this in mind...Oakley can actually revive the manufacturing of X-Metal frames without having to revert to their old manufacturing process of creating the frames. They can actually just do this now in a small room and create even better frames with significantly more complex designs and strength at affordable manufacturing costs. With this technology and the Oakley DNA...I can forsee even crazier and more organic designs. I for one hope they use the new technology to revive the X-Metal line. Check out the videos below. The 3D Printer is from 3D Systems and uses Direct Metal Printing technology. This machine is designed specifically to create parts with titanium alloy.

UPDATED: Added the X-Metal: Purpose Beyond Reason video to show how the X-Metals were manufactured by Oakley.

X-Metal: Purpose Beyond Reason

Last edited: 1/16/16
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. RoTors

RoTors Oakley Expert Premium Member

Hmmmm...

This would be a DIY thread, with X-Metal pics if I hit that Powerball

3. thisguy

thisguy Oakley Expert

Very cool technology. I hope Oakley will make good use of this, if they do, and create some awesome pieces!

4. supersharp

supersharp X-Metal Connoisseur Premium Member

It looks cool, but I have to wonder how much material is wasted. That's not cost effective.

5. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

Sintering and cnc machining can technically also provide the means to achieve awesome ti frames. Even if Oakley wanted to continue with casting xmetals outside of US that would have been possible. I feel the barriers are bound by business decisions of consolidation more so than technological barriers. It's a fundamental objective of business mergers and acquisitions

scienergy likes this.
  6. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

That's pretty neat, I doubt Oakley will bring back the true x-metal line. Thanks for sharing

7. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

Material is not wasted because all unsintered metallic powder can be reused. It is very cost effective :)

supersharp likes this.
  8. KillerCollector

KillerCollector Oakley Expert Premium Member

Is there any reason a 3D printer couldn't make new stems?

9. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

Copyright infringement?

10. KillerCollector

KillerCollector Oakley Expert Premium Member

Hmmm, I don't know. Take the straight stems on a 0.3. Ive seen that type of stem on other sunglasses.