• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Reviving the True X-Metal Line with new 3D Printing Technology

Yup but for how long??? It has to start first. If thats ever gonna happened lol.
Haha, true! I think you could argue the technology is already available. Like computers when they were first invented. Not practical for everyone or widespread use right now. But if the market conditions and demand allows, I think the technology will continue to improve, get smaller, and more accessible to the general public. Will likely take decades, IMHO.

Wow that Purpose Beyond Reason video is fantastic! Makes me so happy I have an XX and XS!!

*I've never seen that video before and definitely learned some new info.

With this technology available, what's stopping any of us from printing our own oaks? In all technicality, any frame could be replicated with ease, in whatever material (or mix thereof) desired... they sell scanners and printers nowadays that can replicate with amazing resolution. If someone was to disassemble every oakley frame, the scanners would be able to copy every detail. Think titanium flak jackets, think otts for everyone. Granted, it's not made by oakley, but if they won't resurrect the "real" x metal line, then I say someone else should...

It would totally suck if people started to make fakes by scanning and printing with good quality such that it's be hard to tell from the original. There goes the collectibility of the hobby.

It would totally suck if people started to make fakes by scanning and printing with good quality such that it's be hard to tell from the original. There goes the collectibility of the hobby.

I would agree, but I sure would love to see a Titanium Split Jacket.

Back