• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1.0 Complete Restoration

ruckus328

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, I just picked up a pair of X-Metal Romeo's, I'd like to do a complete restoration on them. Gaskets, rubbers are all being replaced, I'm going to chop some lenses. That's all pretty cut and dry, the thing that I'm fuzzy on is the frames. The frames are in "ok" condition, minor scuffs and scratches here and there, one small nick on the nose bridge. I'd like to get them back to mint though if possible. From what I understand the x-metal finish is completely raw material (no paints or coatings on the top layer), so the existing stock finish is essentially the result of sanding and buffing already, correct?. I just want to be real clear on what the best way to proceed there is, I'd hate to make things worse than they are, and once I start sanding there's no turning back. Do you guys usually do the initial sanding by hand? Should I have them sand blasted? I've read some talk of using a dremel, my concern there is how to not end up putting flats all over the frame with a dremel, unless it's just a matter of very light pressure and very high grit. If anyone has any tips or advise, it'd be much appreciated.

Hey Marc, thanks. I actually did read through all of those threads previously, and did what searching I could around the forum before starting a post, all I really saw in any of the threads you posted as far as finishing the actual frames was on Brip's page, but didn't look like they came to a solution yet. And seems Brip is dealing with a plasma/polished finish while my frames are raw/matte x-metal. Most of the other threads I came across were talking about polishing. Really what I'm after is just trying to get rid of the scratches/scuffs. I'm just really unclear on exactly what happens if you start sanding x-metal. To me, raw x-metal looks more like a sandblasted finish, so not sure if I'm going to be able to get the original look with sandpaper/dremel. And obviously don't want to just start experimenting on a pair of Romeo's without knowing whether or not it's possible to get them new again simply by sanding.

OK, so took them completely apart and cleaned everything. There was what I can only describe as "maple syrup and tar" caked inside of every nook and cranny. It was nasty, and I really would prefer to just block out the experience, I don't know exactly what it was and I'd prefer not to know. I feel like I need a shower now. I guess important part is they're clean:)

First issue, just wanted to see what anyone else thought. The frames - the left lens isn't quite seating into the frame along the top. Looks like my left earstem is bent in some as well. You can see how much more the left earstem closes compared to the right side. I can't tell if the earstem issue is actually because the lens isn't seating or not. As far as the left lense not seating, the top gasket there is completely shot, so that could be the root of the problem, but the lens itself looks a little suspicious to me, almost like it might be a custom chop. There's alot of jaggedness along the one edge. This could be the result of years of removing/inserting the lense or just rubbing from the flex coupler. Since this is my first pair of Romeo's and I don't have any new lenses to compare to, I just don't know. Maybe some of you more seasoned guys can tell me what you think.

Looks like the earstems might be a little crooked on the vertical too, I know there's some washers in there that wear out. Have to take that apart and look.

I've ordered all new gaskets, screws, and some VL lenses for test fitting and using for the custom chop template. New Juliet earsock/temple shocks have been ordered. The original nose buds seem in good shape still.

Posting pics now.

Romeo_Front1.JPG

Romeo_Top1.JPG

Romeo_Left_Closed.JPG

Romeo_Right_Closed.JPG

Romeo_Left_Temple.JPG

Romeo_Right_Temple.JPG

Back