• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1.0 - My First X-Metal - Complete Overhaul

• Thread starter marc2040
  • Start date
M

marc2040

Stolen from ebay classifieds Germany --->>> Old Thread

As title says, I bought my first X-Metal.
I would say that I'm experienced with the O-Matter frames, but I'm not familiar with the Romeo or even all X-Metals.
So I appreciate any help I can get.

The seller wants to ship the package tomorrow (Friday) and hopefully the Romeo is on Monday in my hands.
EDIT: Received on Saturday. Well done DHL :wink:

The whole project, bringing the Romeo back to life, will take some weeks.

Seller pictures (thanks for your statement of agreement ©):

xg6qjpnw.jpg

kabft7r8.jpg

cprz22ov.jpg

z5zdv525.jpg

Proceeding the old thread:

hey welcome to the restoration club LOL. its a fun journey.

Few notes for you in case you didnt notice -

1. The lenses look DECENT enough to stay as daily users.. see how it is when it comes but all i see is minor stress cracking (previous owner was careless or had a fat head), but no untoward scratching in the centre where you have to look through, so thats good, in any case, DONT DUMP THEM. those etched lenses are a wicked display lens, and also, use them as template for custom cut lenses.

2. notice in the last picture the arms dont quite cross at the same point. this indicates the frame is either not assembled correctly, or there is a slight twist in the frame. more likely the frames not assembled properly. when it arrives, have your T6 screwdriver handy and i'll be happy to walk you through the pressure points of assembling the Romeo1 properly. it could come down to a misaligned gasket or something.

Thank's. I'm proud to be a part of the restoration club :crutch:

1. All my lenses are in very good condition, so I think about to get some customs from the doc. Call me picky and you are right ... mostly, sometimes not.
There are some other things I bought during the last weeks and my wallet needs a break.

2. Yes. The gaps between the nosepiece and orbitals looking to be different. Maybe both, gaps and twist. Will have my eyes as a former toolmaker (ops, that's more than 20y ago) and the T6 handy :wink:

Here is a checklist
Romeo Delivery: Arrived
First Check: Done
Disassembling: Done
Cleaning: Done
Upper Gasekt & Under Nose Parts & T6 Screws: Arrived
X-Metal Vault: Arrived
X Soft Vault: Arrived
Box: Still hunting ...
OEM Lenses: Arrived
VL Test Lenses: Arrived
Etching: In progress - Read #32 ...
Assembling: Open ...

DHL was fast and the Romeo is in my hands.
The seller packed it very well and all purchased items are included: Romeo 1.0, Stand, Coin.

- Both upper rubbers around the nose bridge need to be replaced.
- Rubbers under arms, nose pieces and ear socks are in good and wearable condition.
- Lenses are cracked and scratched. I knew that before.
- Hinges are tight.
- The metal finishing is overall in very good condition, minimal marks.
- At the moment the Romeo is slightly twisted (see #1: 2. by Brip).

DHL was fast and the Romeo is in my hands.
The seller packed it very well and all purchased items are included: Romeo 1.0, Stand, Coin.

- Both upper rubbers around the nose bridge need to be replaced.
- Rubbers under arms, nose pieces and ear socks are in good and wearable condition.
- Lenses are cracked and scratched. I knew that before.
- Hinges are tight.
- The metal finishing is overall in very good condition, minimal marks.
- At the moment the Romeo is slightly twisted (see #1: 2. by Brip).

ok we expected this bro. be very gentle removing screws and screwing the frame back together. threads CAN and WILL strip if you abuse it (esp the top gasket ones)

Lets check for frame straightness: first, look at the 'O' icon on the earstem. is it sitting properly on the Tshock, and not touching metal-to-metal at any point? do they look well aligned with the hinge?

if they do, move on.. do this - remove your lenses, make sure the gaskets are all not folded/crumpled (especially the bottom gaskets, they have a flange that sits in the hole, make sure its nice and tidy), make sure you seat the lower pins of the orbitals properly and screw abck the frame together, with the top gaskets. now see if the frame is still twisting.

let me know bro, im here to help.

Disassembled pictures see #2

One screw was super tight and the torx was rounded. Reason: This screw is a bit crooked and has to be replaced.
The thread itself seems to be ok.
I already checked the linegear site for spare parts, because one upper gasket is also destroyed. Same side as the crooked screw.
Upper gasekt & Under nose parts (Color: Balck)[R1-GSK-BK] $15,00
T6 Screw Type2[SC-2] $ 14,50
Shipping $ 8,00
Total $ 37,50

Removing the lenses was easy to do. As I said before, they have cracks and scratches, but still usable.
I already contacted the Doc.
He emailed me that different colors are possible, so I just have to decide what I want.
Custom lenses from the Doc take up to 4 weeks and there is no other choice to get OEM custom lenses.

The frame straightness is not 100% given!
O-icons, earstems and T-shocks are well aligned and nothing touches metal-to-metal.
Rubbers are in good shape.

One arm is a bit more curved than the other.
If you have a look at the pictures in #2 (Pictures after disassembling), you can see that one arm is longer than the other.
Should be easy to bend back in the right position.

That's a good set you got your hands on bro.
I bought mine new in 97 or 98. Overall the pair is in great shape, I stopped wearing them b/c I didn't want to crack the lenses any more than they had. Anyway, they have sat in a box for about 7 years not really giving any second thought to them as I did not know after market parts had become available.

New lenses have been ordered from VL and restoration begins next week. Can't wait to wear them again. These are the best fitting glasses I have ever worn.

My first custom cut lenses

As long as I don't have custom lenses I decided to make my own.
I have to say this is the first time ever I have tried to cut a lenses.
From my Ten X I had a pair of Silver Ice Polarized Visionary Lenses left, because they will be replaced with OEM lenses.
They are 100% handmade! I don't have a Dremel or other Multitool.
Used tools & materials:
- VL Lenses, Ten X Silver Ice Polarized
- OEM Lenses
- Clear Tape
- Double Sided Tape
- Scalpel
- Craft Knife
- Small File
- Fing`rs 3-in-1 High-Gloss Buffer
- Two Sharp Eyes :cool:

Here are some pictures of my first custom lenses (Left VL / Right OEM): Check #2

dude dont bend your arms. xmetal is rediculously strong, and that difference you see is tiny, making me suspect its more of a variation at the flex coupler than the arm. most of the fault was with the damaged gasket/ overtightened screw. screws are meant to only be lightly tightened in the romeo.

try removing the arms by undoing the hinge screws and stack them- then you can see i the 2 arms are same curvature as each other.

dont lose the plastic washers that go in the hinge. read my thread on arm swaps for a guide to reassembly.

I have already read your thread :smile:
Yeah, the gasket was like dust. Do you know what kind of thread it is? What do you think about recutting the thread?
I've ordered new screws, gaskets and the under nose parts.
Will check the arms tomorrow.
On the other side of the planet it's 2:00am

I have already read your thread :smile:
Yeah, the gasket was like dust. Do you know what kind of thread it is? What do you think about recutting the thread?
I've ordered new screws, gaskets and the under nose parts.
Will check the arms tomorrow.
On the other side of the planet it's 2:00am

gotcha haha. i encounter that other side of the world problem too. dont recut the threads, the linegear screws should fit perfect. the threads in the frame itself are real fragile to be honest. i wouldnt mess with it.

let us know about the earstems. ill bet theyre fine- its probably the tshock sitting differently that was causing the difference.