• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1.0 - My First X-Metal - Complete Overhaul

• Thread starter marc2040
  • Start date
Sweet Marc, nice to see you got them so fast...and the stand was included in the sale too! It just keeps getting better, haha. You got an awesome deal my friend! Enjoy and congrats again! Aloha!

Thank's again.
Yeah, it was a really good deal.
Yesterday I have polished the stand and made one custom lens.
Please follow the documentation, all steps will be documented with pictures in #2
Again, I appreciate any hint and help I can get.

Check the pictures in #2. I've added some more incl. used tools (Pic. 27). Nothing special.
Added to my X-Mas wishlist: Dremel

Here we go:

Protect your new lenses with clear tape (Ten X lens - I don't know if you can use other lenses, depends on size - 3 stripes of clear tape)
Tape your old X-Metal lens with a double sided tape on the Ten lens.
Now cut along the edge of your X-Metal lens using a scalpel. My scalpel is crooked (Pic 27). Make sure you cut through all three stripes of the clear tape and through the Iridium layer.
After that you can remove your X-Metal lens and the double sided tape. Tear off the clear tape along the edge.
Now use a craft knife (Pic. 27, red/black handle) and cut the lens (Pic. 4 + 29 + 37). When you are close to the new shape change your tool and take a small file (Pic. 27, red handle).
We are at the point where you have to work very accurate (Pic. 3 + 28). File along the line you have cut with the scalpel.
To protect the rough edges you can polish them with Fing`rs 3-in-1 High-Gloss Buffer (Link #7). If you don't have one, ask your girlfriend.
Last step: Tear off the clear tape.

Very Important: Pic. 36

Here we go:

Protect your new lenses with clear tape (Ten X lens - I don't know if you can use other lenses, depends on size - 3 stripes of clear tape)
Tape your old X-Metal lens with a double sided tape on the Ten lens.
Now cut along the edge of your X-Metal lens using a scalpel. My scalpel is crooked (Pic 27). Make sure you cut through all three stripes of the clear tape and through the Iridium layer.
After that you can remove your X-Metal lens and the double sided tape. Tear off the clear tape along the edge.
Now use a craft knife (Pic. 27, red/black handle) and cut the lens (Pic. 4 + 29 + 37). When you are close to the new shape change your tool and take a small file (Pic. 27, red handle).
We are at the point where you have to work very accurate (Pic. 3 + 28). File along the line you have cut with the scalpel.
To protect the rough edges you can polish them with Fing`rs 3-in-1 High-Gloss Buffer (Link #7). If you don't have one, ask your girlfriend.
Last step: Tear off the clear tape.

Very Important: Pic. 36

appreciate the detail, thanks buddy!

and yeah ive cut my thumb open while i was doing some custom weight reduction on my tamiya racer back in the day. i feel ya.

They are VL as well.
For me it's just a test, because I don't want to use third party lenses.
I've already bought a pair of OEM +red polarized lenses for my Ten X.
When they are in my hands, I can see if they can be used for a custom cut.
The only problem could be the etching.

They are VL as well.
For me it's just a test, because I don't want to use third party lenses.
I've already bought a pair of OEM +red polarized lenses for my Ten X.
When they are in my hands, I can see if they can be used for a custom cut.
The only problem could be the etching.

we have a guy on this forum that can custom etch anything you want.

his username eludes me right now but do a search its there.