1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. lithiumus

lithiumus Oakley Beginner

I recently purchased an R1 from Fear Gear. The frames are in near mint condition so I have no issues whatsoever with regards to the purchase. However, there are some factory imperfections on the right side of the frame. It looks like after casting the X Metal they usually deburr the edges and it just looks like some extra material was left mostly on the top and some on the bottom.

Normally I wouldn't care and just leave it but they are pinching the lenses even in at idle. It's an X Metal finish so I don't want to grind it off and leave bright polished spots on my inner frame edges. Any suggestions?

Maybe X Man could do some magic? Here are some photos.

Romeo 1 Factory Imperfections In The Frame - RomeoTop_zpsc6baa2b6.jpg

Romeo 1 Factory Imperfections In The Frame - RomeoBottom_zps5e6b120e.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Dyeraudio

Dyeraudio Juliet Enthusiast

I've come across the exact same situation with a 1st Gen Plasma Juliet. The left orbital had the same "flashing" issue. I call it "flashing" because it reminds me of the excess plastic on a scale model "tree". IMHO the 1st Gen casting process was pretty rough. I'm sure X Man can expand on this issue since he sees first hand how 1st Gen differs from the 2nd & 3rd Gen X Metals.

3. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

yup. thats the correct term.

I don't think theres really much you can do about it outside of grinding it to where its supposed to be and re blasting it. Are you sure its touching the lens? it looks clear to me

4. lithiumus

lithiumus Oakley Beginner

I might just gently grind down the parts that are touching. The flashing on the outer orbital are fine and do not touch but the flashing on the center X is touching. Here are 2 additional shots. You can see it a bit better.

Romeo 1 Factory Imperfections In The Frame - RomeoTop2_zps16014b97.jpg

Same with the lower X portion but not as bad.

Romeo 1 Factory Imperfections In The Frame - RomeoBottom2_zpsfdca5cb2.jpg

5. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

part of the reason i love metals so much is the slight imperfections. But something so close to the lens like that would bug me.