• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1 Lense Swap Question

If you like the red look go with Linegear but if you want oem go for + red. I have Linegear red mirror and red garnet they are really red. Im getting + red for my pit boss 2 from dr. chop cant wait...

Here Linegear red garnet
quteva2a.jpg

I think I'm going to go with the linegear, I'd like pos red but I'm not A fan of the other colors that you get at different angles with them. I'll let you guys know how it works out as far as the difference in optics. Thanks.

We already know what the difference in optics is, that is why the people who posted suggest you go oem

I knew while writing the post there was a difference, but weather that difference in optics was substantial enough to only go oem. VL lenses or exovista are obviously sub par, but I was trying to determine weather the linegear was close enough in order to not sacrifice to much optically in order to gain the red color I was after. The object of the post was by no means to ask if linegear was just as good as OEM.

I feel you on the red color situation bro, ruby is a redish orangeish pinkish ish ish and the positive red is reddish purpley blueski ish, all varying greatly from one cut to the other. Linegear is the best quality aftermarket lens option, at least I have heard, and if they have the red you need than go for it. Its nowhere near the quality of Oakley because of their 600+ patents preventing anyone from coming close to the real thing. Hdo optics and xyz along with plutonite is why most of us only want the real deal. If you just want something that only the linegear rep lenses can provide then do it. For everything else custom or discontinued, call the doctor!

Well I got the linegear mirror red thanks to nyhokie, and I have to say that they are pretty awesome for the price as far as optics go. They are way above the exovista and vl stuff. Overall I think the sacrifice to go linegear over oem to get the color I want is a wash. Optics are great for everyday and the red is exactly the style I was wanting!

I knew while writing the post there was a difference, but weather that difference in optics was substantial enough to only go oem. VL lenses or exovista are obviously sub par, but I was trying to determine weather the linegear was close enough in order to not sacrifice to much optically in order to gain the red color I was after. The object of the post was by no means to ask if linegear was just as good as OEM.
Here is your example through a Stellar Projector. Linegear are NOT "Base in Prism" lenses, in which Oakley lenses are. This affects optics considerably. LineGear lenses should ONLY BE LISTED as DISPLAY ONLY. This photo is of testing I have done, and am working on creating a thread that covers Optics in general. Most if not all aftermarket lenses are horrible for your eyes. WIll poss do damage over time. There are several reason why this pic is so blurry. One could be the prism particles in the coatings on the LineGear, being too microscopically large, and causing distortion, or possibly when the vacum coater was coating, a leak in the system could cause this issue also.

TEST: Take your lens and hold it up in front of you. Look at something with a straight edge through the lens held out in front of you. Then Look above the lens and below the lens and you will see the lines do not match up. Then do this with a Oakley lens and you will see a difference.
Second test--- at arms length look at a tree or something 100 yards away: move the lens around and watch the objects bounce around, They will not do this with the Oakley to the same extent. That is the "Base in Prism" part.
Base-In (BI) Prism – a wedge-shaped lens which is thicker on one edge than the other. The thicker edge (base) is turned inward, closest to the nose. Prisms bend light (opposite direction from its thicker end) so the base-in prism turns the light outward (toward the ear) thus causing the eye to also move outward.

PIC: As you can see the word Linegear is in focus. Then look at the small letters near the "Z" and that is what your eyes are looking at magnified many times. Your eyes correct this to a degree, but that is causing a strain on your eyes, Alot of people this causes headaches. I have pics of Oak, no lens, and some others, I am only putting this here, the others are posted in another thread.
s73w.jpg

Thanks infinite hero, I can't deny the proof that you have provided, however I can only suggest that this would only cause damage if the lenses are worn for prolonged periods of time everyday. The time I spend per week wearing shades is probably a maximum of 2 hours over a seven day period, it is only my opinion that exposure of this length over a time span of seven days would not cause any type of permenent damage, as I have not even experienced headaches from eye strain at this point. It would be cool to do a long term exposure test though.