1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. David_Oakley

David_Oakley Oakley Enthusiast

I just recently purchased a Romeo 1 and I am very new to the X-metal arena. I noticed that the Romeo has 4 gaskets (2 upper and 2 lower) unlike the rest of the X-metal line.

My question is this: I noticed the lower gaskets are held in by what looks like a "flat" screw. In other words there is no way to use the special screw driver to remove them. The uppers have the conventional screws to remove.

So in the event of swapping out Romeo 1 lenses, I'm assuming I just need to remove the upper screws only.

However, how would I replace the lower gaskets? (does the nose piece just "slide" off after the top screws are removed?

Sorry but i've never done this. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Chris A Hardaway likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. washi me sensie

washi me sensie The Oakley Rōnin

yo bro! just remove the top screws... the lower ones are not screws! its quite easy! just be careful not losing any gaskets though! goodluck!

3. David_Oakley

Ok, so the nose piece does come off to get to the lower gaskets if I need to replace them correct?

4. washi me sensie

washi me sensie The Oakley Rōnin

yep... the whole nose piece will come off....

5. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

Bottom section just has 'pegs' if that makes sense. The lower and upper gaskets are prone to tearing so be careful when removing as has been mentioned. If they are worn out you may want to get a fresh set.

6. David_Oakley

for the new gaskets, I should just order from linegear correct?

7. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

Yes, unless you can acquire oem from eBay or the forum possibly.

8. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Pictures go a long way...

Pop the top screw
    Romeo 1 Question - F1449051-1C1E-4285-BAB8-A95787C1B744-9203-000014673EF9CDFC_zps84e0c8c1.jpg

And the orbital and stem come off the nose. You're left with the upper and lower gasket. The lower will insert into the hole in the nose bridge to stay in place, the upper will fall loose. Or either gasket will stick to the orbital side. Or just fall free. They are finicky.
    Romeo 1 Question - 5EE7974F-0C41-47C7-9D75-6F6C11497837-9203-000014672BC0A836_zpse914ae5c.jpg

Orbital side
    Romeo 1 Question - 4CF1FEBD-8DCC-4708-9ECD-D1B13DAFB04B-9203-000014672367F08F_zpsc9c243d7.jpg

9. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

10. David_Oakley

Very nice! I appreciate that. I do have another issue maybe you guys can help me with. One of my upper orbital screws are very tightly fastened. The original owner never unscrewed them before, so I guess over the course of 10 years or so of ownership, it just got "stuck".

I tried to carefully unscrew it with my torx tool but it stripped my tool (cheap) not the screw thank God. Have any of you ever encountered a situation where a screw was just stubborn like this? What do you suggest I do to unscrew it in the even I want to replace the gaskets or lens?