• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 2 Question

Finally a guy that understands the principle of supply vs demand!
it's still not supply and demand, it's an emotional attachment. There is a supply, and there were plenty of them. Romeo 2 was not a popular piece to begin with, and the ONLY reason it has it's huge push now is solely because people are obsessing over X Metals as a whole due to the fact they have been disco'd. David Flores 2 sold for $1400 (I know, I sold one) after they were yanked. Guess what you pay now for one? $500-$700 roughly, some less. Why would one be worth $1400 and the other less than half? Because someone wanted it more. iphone 5s first day...phones sold for thousands...why? people went nuts. were there none to be had? NO!! Emphatically HELL NO. You think Apple made 20k units initially to "test the waters"? No. They had hundreds of thousands waiting. It's how it works. It is all emotional beyond retail or wholesale pricing.

You go and spend $1200 right now outbidding someone on what was sold for $1000 yesterday. Guess what happens? More surface for $1200 or more. I can't understand why in the hell these conversations keep cycling. I understand people come and go and want to know, but it's all basic. Take a rare car. One may sell at auction for $200k (just an example but call it a Shelby Mustang of some sort). Carroll Shelby dies, same spec'd car now sells for $50k more. Why? Was the supply diminished? No. They haven't made said model since (again an example) 1967. Was there a difference between the 2? Possibly, but for conversation we are saying same spec'd, so theoretically no. So why then would one sell for more? The creator died, and people go nuts. Baseball cards, disney, who cares. It is emotional. You have to determine what YOU are WILLING to spend. There is no value above that limit unless you have emotional attachment.

For example, I completed 100% of all retail released Monster Dogs. I had them all, and then some. Did I pay $300 for a night camo in box? No. Did I pay $250 for a Black/Ti Clear from Japan? No. Why? Because I was patient. I didn't buy out of impulse because I HAD TO HAVE IT. I knew there were plenty to be had, just had to wait. Along the way, scooped up many others that actually flipped and made money on, so rather than dump a ton for one pair, I got them where my budget was or better, and I used that "impulse savings" to create more capital. Pretty simple. I have bought several "impulse" pairs because I did have an attachment. It is all up to the buyer as to what it is worth.

oh, and ya, the Scelzi by far over the stock issue lol. Again I am a fan of his and it is nicer.

I really like the scelzi's but those prices are ridiculous... It is only supply and demand if they sell... Which they don't until they come down in price, like almost every other x metal on the bay and here lately. I will get one eventually and as stated above, I will be patient and they will come! It is like waiting for a pair of gold iridium R2 lenses to show up for sale... Long and arduous wait but I am in no hurry, I have plenty of other pair to rotate through until then :)

Yeah, it was completed.... By me.
I took the following factors into consideration:
1) I had my price set on a valuation of $650 to $750 due to the item itself, not just a common R2, but a very special limited edition with very few made. I am not sure how many but I have heard hundreds, not thousands.
2) I had planned on a 10% uplift for eBay Seller fees - we are now @ $715 to $825 - any of us who sell on eBay know we automagically figure this in, but often forget when its not out stuff we're selling
3) The Seller was offering free insured shipping, on an item like that add $25 easy... now we are @ $740 to $850
3) I was prepared to add $50-$100 because I think it is a unique piece and after communicating with the Seller - it is as perfect as any you will find. Mind you I already had it at the top of my range, but I have always found it is worth to pay a few $s extra for quality.

So my valuation was $790 to $900, shipped - and it fell in that range, so I won it.

...the next day there is a trade for a GSR2 for an XX plasma NIB/LNIB - it happened. The only XX plasma I see on the forum or eBay right now is @ $800 for sunnies only - no box, no coin, lenses have some marks. I figure with a box a coin, maybe better lenses it goes for another $150+, maybe a grand if it is complete and the lenses are original and clean.

I felt good about this. I think it put the GSR2 at a price point where if I had to turn it around tomorrow I could. I may not get what I paid, but I would get close. My guess is prices will vary in the near future, as they do with most of this stuff, but this piece will stay on the high side of that range. In a few years these will be $1000+ pieces any time any day.

//

So I shared with you guys...
Now what is the secret password I need to get into the GSR2 section of the forum?
['they' told me it was next to the pool on the roof]

Back