• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo Addiction,

• Thread starter nightpusher1
  • Start date
Love finding them and fixing them up,just sold one ice and the Jade ,the proceeds of which will go into buying some more...........

Appreciate all the comments , all original colour ways are there ,haven't got all generations though.

Just came into 3 pairs of R1's, looking to wear them every day, have a concern though...

The screws that connect the frame orbitals to the center piece...this is the point where the frame "gives" for "flex" when you pull the legs apart or put the glasses on, right? Well...seems to me that the flexing even from normal use puts strain on the threading/screw hole of the center piece, and even of the hole the screw goes through on the orbitals? Does this/could this lead to permanent damage to the frame???
Just normal use not intentionally ripping them apart obviously.
Is this a known long term R1 issue like the lens cracks? I'm fine with the lens cracks can always replace lenses but the frame is another matter of course!

Just came into 3 pairs of R1's, looking to wear them every day, have a concern though...

The screws that connect the frame orbitals to the center piece...this is the point where the frame "gives" for "flex" when you pull the legs apart or put the glasses on, right? Well...seems to me that the flexing even from normal use puts strain on the threading/screw hole of the center piece, and even of the hole the screw goes through on the orbitals? Does this/could this lead to permanent damage to the frame???
Just normal use not intentionally ripping them apart obviously.
Is this a known long term R1 issue like the lens cracks? I'm fine with the lens cracks can always replace lenses but the frame is another matter of course!

Is this with lenses loaded? I have found this only with aftermarket lenses and not with oem lenses.

Is WHAT with lenses loaded? stress cracks or frame damage from flexing? OEM lenses are not gonna prevent the frame from flexing...The frame will flex with any lens..

No need to shout. I am asking if you are finding the frame as you put 'flexes' with lenses in or out and of which type you are using. I do not find there is any frame flex with genuine Oakley lenses and have only seen this with aftermarket lenses as they are usually thinner or with the frame assembled without lenses loaded. The lenses are an integral part of the frame structure so with oem there should be no flex.

Sorry didn't mean to shout...my bad for using caps...manners! Apologies.
Ok I read your post but wait if the frame doesn't flex at all with oem lenses in, how does the frame accommodate someones melon when they go to put it on and take it off? It has to flex, there has to be some play right?
Yeah I'm using aftermarket lenses. I tried Linegear lenses and they were too thick they wouldn't even fit into the grooves of the frame! And yeah other aftermarket lenses are thinner than oem...so should I worry about my frame? With my juliets, xx's, x-squared, i know they have rubber in the nose that can be replaced, no frame damage possible when you use that flexibility to put them on or take them off. But with the R1's it's just screws attaching the frame pieces, which makes me think damn over time the screw holes will be reamed out by the screws and that probably can't be repaired. Ever heard of this happening to anyone?