• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo No. 1 (first Off Production Line) - Value

Comparable in condition and completeness? It's still only adding novelty value for me rather than hard commercial value, so I wouldn't be willing to pay much uplift for serial number alone.

I've paid a stiff premium for boxed and complete/LNIB Corvette and Finito Juliets, but in both instances I was paying for condition rather than a low serial.

It's not like some vintage watches where a low serial may mean some different parts. A handful of very early Heuer Carrera 1158s, for example, came with gorgeous polished gold hands. I would pay a premium for those, provided the watch serial was in the expected range. In contrast, a 0000xx Juliet will have the same parts as a 00xxxx one. Except they probably made a better job of casting the later one, with time and experience.

For me, then, novelty value only. I would swallow the premium only if it were the sole boxed and complete example on the market. Again, I respect the views of those prepared to pay more for serial alone.

Sealed boxes have the dilemma of Schrodinger's Cat...

:cool: Exactly!
I posted a thread a while back...
And that thread started as follows:
"Technically, considering the box must be opened to actually see it. These are the most perfect LNIB R1's I have ever seen! :) I know there are some of you out there that can easily say "Mine is better it has NEVER been opened LOL". Though I could debate that (remember Schrödinger's cat! - if you have never opened it to see it how can you say it is...?)"

Last edited:
:cool: Exactly!
I posted a thread a while back...
And that thread started as follows:
"Technically, considering the box must be opened to actually see it. These are the most perfect LNIB R1's I have ever seen! :) I know there are some of you out there that can easily say "Mine it better it has NEVER been opened LOL". Though I could debate that (remember Schrödinger's cat! - if you have never opened it to see it how can you say it is...?)"

And for those out there who don't get the Al Capone's Vault reference, see this article; I remember watching it live:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mystery_of_Al_Capone's_Vaults

Thanks all posters - an interesting and informative discussion. Overall, I agree about wanting LNIB more than a low serial but I can see that these are both types of collecting, none worse than the other. Personally, if I was given the chance to buy a mint, LNIB Romeo with serial numbers 2-10, I'd be willing to pay 6-8k. For No. 1, 8-10k.

Note that I wouldn't be able to afford either - that's what I'd be willing to pay,as a premium above a normal LNIB Romeo.

What's the lowest serial seen on the forum?

Thanks all posters - an interesting and informative discussion. Overall, I agree about wanting LNIB more than a low serial but I can see that these are both types of collecting, none worse than the other. Personally, if I was given the chance to buy a mint, LNIB Romeo with serial numbers 2-10, I'd be willing to pay 6-8k. For No. 1, 8-10k.

Note that I wouldn't be able to afford either - that's what I'd be willing to pay,as a premium above a normal LNIB Romeo.

And i thought 5k was hanging my neck out there. You got cajones my friend!:behindsofa:

I guess I'd rather pay 8-10k on 10 pairs of other rare x-metals. Maybe a media cap, corvette, finito, all the ichiros and Jordans. Or a laser etching machine. *shrug*

Love the Schrödinger's cat elements of the above discussion. Was wondering about that recently. I bought a BNIB Juliet carbon/BI. Since it was BNIB, there was no way I could see what I was buying. I purchased after looking at a picture of a box! When it arrived, I was so excited to open it. But I hesitated. Once I opened the plastic seal, it would never be BNIB again. There must be a limited number of BNIB, unopened X-Metals, and constantly declining. A bit depressing really.

Reminder to self: These were made to be worn, not loved without being seen, unopened in a box!

Collecting is a weird thing.

Love the Schrödinger's cat elements of the above discussion. Was wondering about that recently. I bought a BNIB Juliet carbon/BI. Since it was BNIB, there was no way I could see what I was buying. I purchased after looking at a picture of a box! When it arrived, I was so excited to open it. But I hesitated. Once I opened the plastic seal, it would never be BNIB again. There must be a limited number of BNIB, unopened X-Metals, and constantly declining. A bit depressing really.

Reminder to self: These were made to be worn, not loved without being seen, unopened in a box!

Collecting is a weird thing.
A collector once told me that the secret to collecting is to resell what you buy not keep it, that is called hoarding.

Latest Posts

Back