• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo No. 1 (first Off Production Line) - Value

Reminder to self: These were made to be worn, not loved without being seen, unopened in a box!
Collecting is a weird thing.

+1 (for every pair I own!) ...:drinks:

In case you have not read it; there is a recent thread (Current Prices Of Juliets | Oakley Forum where we beat the valuation topic around pretty good. There are a lot of good inputs and interesting opinions on value - past, present, and future. It also touches on supply and demand along with other subjective points that contribute to the 'weirdness' of our O-bsession ;) I suppose it kind of merges with this thread in a way, coming from a Juliet perspective. (Same X-Metal Different Style / SXMDS)

I'm with a few of the guys. I go for complete, mint, matching serial and rarity. Low serials are cool but I'm not going to pay extra unless it's a #23 Jordan Romeo for obvious reasons.

A collector once told me that the secret to collecting is to resell what you buy not keep it, that is called hoarding.
If I resold everything I bought I would not have anything, unless there is a caveat for the occasional freebie as a result of a multi-pair deal or something? Maybe that is supposed to be a joke and I don't get it?

I started writing something else, but it ran a little long and I'll need to park it elsewhere...

Love the Schrödinger's cat elements of the above discussion. Was wondering about that recently. I bought a BNIB Juliet carbon/BI. Since it was BNIB, there was no way I could see what I was buying. I purchased after looking at a picture of a box! When it arrived, I was so excited to open it. But I hesitated. Once I opened the plastic seal, it would never be BNIB again. There must be a limited number of BNIB, unopened X-Metals, and constantly declining. A bit depressing really.

Reminder to self: These were made to be worn, not loved without being seen, unopened in a box!

Collecting is a weird thing.
See, I have mentioned this before. I have personally seen items opened at HQ where the WRONG item was inside the box. Multiple times on a single occasion if you can actually imagine that happening.
So BNIB can have a certain meaning to someone where to someone else it can be different.

BNIB- is it in the box that has NEVER been opened?
BNIB- is it in the box that has been opened to verify the product and put back in the box never to be seen again?

I myself consider BNIB to the the second mainly because you NEED to open that box to verify the contents match that label. Imagine opening a box for the very first time after 15-20 years and finding a pair with a totally different lens or even frame inside the box? Still it is BNIB but it's the WRONG product as it does not match the label.

Was this collector, by any chance, eyeing a pair you had at the time when he told you this?!?
Sorry. I was closing up shop. I have 3 closed signs out and a guy comes to my window to ask if i was still open. I asked him what part of closed did he not understand.
But to you question, no he was a sports card collector told me that when i was 16, i still havent listened seeing how i have 20 pairs and none sold.

Last edited:
Back