• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo - Plasma Vs Titanium

Like I say, until I see a complete boxed pair of 2nd gen plasma I will remain unconvinced.
May I ask what the serial number on your 1st gen is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I say, until I set a complet boxed pair of 2nd gen plasma I will remain unconvinced.
May I ask what the serial number on your 1st gen is?
dont have a first gen plasma. still looking for that one. have two plasma's that have identical finishes, with the A suffix and a boxed titanium with the A suffix. the titanium is different form the plasmas, and you can tell. I hear what you are saying, about the boxes, as they could very well all be titanium or all plasma without a box. but from what i see in my hands I can tell which one is which.

I also understand what you are saying - that you can see a difference, but if 2 generations of plasma truly exist somebody must have a boxed example of the second gen,I have the first gen boxed as I said and it is the bright metalic finish ,so the idea of 2 gens just dosn't add up - the one I have should be matt if the therory holds true.

Any one have a boxed "A" suffixed plasma.

i dont think the A determines it being a second gen, just that the serials ran out. I have seen the matte finish plasma, and the shiny plasma with serial numbers that dont have the A on them. I think the A is for sure 2nd gen just because we know that they were produced after the original string of serial numbers ran out. the early "bone finish" plasma's share 6 digit numbers with the 2nd gen finish ones. I guess the line is a bit blurred on what is considered a generation for that particular peice, and maybe for the titanium as well. from what i have been seeing; plasma would have 4 versions:
1. a rougher more matte finish akin to plasma xx's but not quite first gen tio2/24k xx orbitals with lower s digit serial
2. a milkier finish with a 6 digit serial
3. a milkier finish with a 6 digit serial plus the letter A
4. a milkier finish with no serial at all. (warranty maybe)

I am not sure if the same can be said for the titaniums, but for the xmetals, there would be 4 as well i believe;

1. "jordan" 4 digit serial
2. square stem 6 digit serial
3. round stem 6 digit serial
4. any other serial variations? such as A/W/non-serial

hopefully we can get more people to chime in and get more solid info on my most beloved x metal :help:

The only definitve proof would be a complete boxed set with the A suffix,they all came out with boxes ,so where are they?

I also understand what you are saying - that you can see a difference, but if 2 generations of plasma truly exist somebody must have a boxed example of the second gen,I have the first gen boxed as I said and it is the bright metalic finish ,so the idea of 2 gens just dosn't add up - the one I have should be matt if the therory holds true.

Any one have a boxed "A" suffixed plasma.

I agree and am in the same situation as you. I can appreciate that there is a certain variance between every single X-metal, even within the same "generation of production". However, I have noticed (from pics) that some Plasma R1s don't have the "sheen" that mine or yours have. You can agree that it's a pretty noticeable difference right?

I'm wondering how can 2 Plasma look so radically different where one looks almost matte and the other has a polished sheen to it.

I found the early plasma finishes all varied to a degree. I've owned many over the years any they've all been a little different. I've never come across the 'bone' finish R1 so am skeptical in that, as I've had probably 4 pairs of low serial pairs and none were like this. Ibelieve they are mistakenly identified and are actually early titaniums. Unless anyone actually owns one with a corresponding box I'd say the bone finish plasma r1 is a myth.

I found the early plasma finishes all varied to a degree. I've owned many over the years any they've all been a little different. I've never come across the 'bone' finish R1 so am skeptical in that, as I've had probably 4 pairs of low serial pairs and none were like this. Ibelieve they are mistakenly identified and are actually early titaniums. Unless anyone actually owns one with a corresponding box I'd say the bone finish plasma r1 is a myth.

Right on disco !

I jogged my memory and found a fairly recent Plasma/Fire R1 FOR SALE thread by AngelAir: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/romeo-1-plasma-fire-complete.29466/

This set according to his thread was complete and MATCHING. If you take a look at one of the close-up pics, you'll see the serial ending in "A". AngelAir also mentioned in his description that this was 2nd Gen.

However, the finish on his plasma looks almost identical to mine....the "shiny" finish. Anyhow, assuming everything checks out with his former set, it appears that there was a "2nd Gen" run of Plasma R1s. But what's interesting is if my Plasma R1 does NOT have the "A" at the end of the serial, does that make it "1st Gen"?

Anyway, just wanted to use this as an example of "evidence" per se.

David