• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo Restoration Ideas.

dcl10

Oakley Expert
So I picked up another pair of Romeo's. These are well used to say the least. The lenses, rubber and everything is basically gone. That's not uncommon though, but they are bent to hell too. Ones of the screws was bent, so that is part of the problem, one stem is also bent, though I have that 80% back to normal. I just need to smooth out some of the kinks.

All this stuff I can deal with, but the worst is the finish. It's basically gone on the inside of the orbitals, and discolored on the stems. So I've been thinking about what to do with these and would like some input.

IMG_0908-1.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Option A: Leave the finish alone and just get some new lenses/rubber for them. The most economical obviously, and I got them for a decent price too. The exterior of the frames are not so bad, so they might be a nice beater pair of Romeo's.

Option B: Polish the frame. Polished is my favorite color and I have every polished X-metal oakley made. Still inexpensive as I'd be doing the work myself. That said It's been done before and this is one of the colors you can get the knockoffs in, so that turns me off.

Option C1: Re-do the finish in X-metal. A little pricier, and it wont match exactly, but I think it's as close as I can get to an OEM look on these. The downside being they wont have a serial anymore, which is really true of most of these, plus its kind of boring.

Option C2: Make a TiO2 Romeo. I can re-create second gen plasma fairly well. I think it would look pretty cool and be fairly different. That said I have seen it done before, and again the finishes still would not match OEM 100%.

Option D: 24K Romeo. I know a guy that can do a super hard wearing cadmium rich gold plate at cost, but that is still fairly high. I'd also get some custom cut Titanium lenses to match my X-squared and Juliet. The highest cost option, but the most unique.

i always like to start with a clean slate, to see what you really have. If it indeed is Xmetal, there shouldnt be any "peeling" since Xmetal isnt a coating, its a raw finish.

remove the lenses, and give all the frame parts a good soaping and warm water treatment and lets see more pics. im always keen for a resto =)

The frame now is titanium, but since I cant re-do that coloway the only original I can do is X-metal. I just cleaned them up a bit, and the inside of the bridge is almost polished smooth.

Latest Posts

Back