• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Roughly a year later: Where does this board stand with Prizm?

Ventruck

I am Jim Jannard...
Depends on which timeline you'd go by: Goggles (which was like late 2014 iirc), or sunglasses which took off more during the R1 2015 release.

Thought about this lately as the idea of Prizm was to be a functional upgrade regular lenses. Leaves me to wonder if users were actually found that to be the case and perhaps had the lenses move up in their rotation. I've only had experience with Prizm Road and Baseball/Outfield, and used the former for its intended purpose in cycling very frequently since the R2 release.

My initial thoughts of Road were that it was "nice". It kinda made sense in making details like cracks and what not standout more, and it works across a range of environments and lighting. In my Jawbreaker review I even said something along the lines that if I could only have one lens for cycling, Prizm Road would be it, but I can still say to this day: had the lens never existed, I wouldn't look for it. I sometimes swapped in Jade and Sapphire for rides, and my visual acuity and whatnot didn't seem to change for better or worse.

But as of late it's the only lens running in my cycling pair. I'm starting to realize that I'm not as prone to take long blinks during the harder stretches of rides and my eyes adjusted to off-hue tint for perceived neutrality. In simple terms, I just find it to be a more comfortable option for cycling. With most neutral lenses, I can spot details without real issue, but it seems that it comes with less effort with Prizm Road — it just stands out. So while I already would've considered Road Oakley's top option for cycling, I've taken the level of preference further in saying I really don't want to use other lenses for the activity. Pretty sold that Oakley got the formula right.

Right now, I can comfortably use any near-neutral Iridium as well as Fire for casual use, but I do wonder if Prizm Daily will successfully grow on me like Road for cycling...

They seem to be a slight improvement for skiing over the comparable normal lenses (Goggles). Mainly in working over a slightly wider range of brightness conditions. For low light H.I Yellow is better than any of the Prizm lenses(afaik the highest transmission on a Prizm lens is rose with slightly over 20%) Prizm Torch (20%) works well from overcast to bright sun, but is a bit dark for lower light conditions.

Ontop of being a collector and fan, I'm also a retailer so I'll speak from that side:
-Goggles - this current winter we ONLY ordered/stocked prizm. EVERYBODY raves about it. It has converted a ton of non-Oakley guys into Oakley. The last 5/6 years of goggles has been focused around "easy to interchange" which was fine, except that you still have to haul around a 2nd lens. Being able to say "hey, why don't you just get a lens that works for 95% of what you need"? The biggest thing that people latch onto with prizm goggles is the definition of the small bumps and undulations which they've never seen before.
-Sunnies - not as big of a deal in sunglasses. The way it's marketed makes it sound like it would be great for that sport but not great at other things. I wear my prizm baseball a ton for all kinds of things and has become my go-to lens for just about everything I do.

Overall I think Prizm has been revolutionary in the industry... on here people bitch and moan about Oakley's lack of innovation. I find it funny because 90% of it is based around aesthetics.

@Oakster Is there any real difference between Sapphire, Jade and Torch Prizm in use? I currently have from highest to lowest light transmission:
H.I yellow, persimmon, VR50, Prizm rose, Prizm Torch, Black iridium, Black rose iridium?, Fire iridium and Prizm black iridium

I mainly use H.I yellow, Prizm rose and prizm Torch now (they feel pretty close). I only use the darker lenses on brilliant sunny days. If I could only have 2 it would be H.I yellow (I'm the hill before sunrise at times) and the Prizm Torch. It would be interesting to see if they released a Prizm with 50-60% light transmission for times when Rose is too dark.

I haven't been out a ton the last 2 years (infants + skiing isn't a great formula) but from everything that's coming back people are finding prizm rose to be fine for everything except night skiing. Still fine for heavy overcast.

No major difference between the other 3.

From O-Review Thoughts?
Capture.PNG

I haven't been out a ton the last 2 years (infants + skiing isn't a great formula) but from everything that's coming back people are finding prizm rose to be fine for everything except night skiing. Still fine for heavy overcast.

No major difference between the other 3.

Thanks. Guess I'm pretty well covered then.
I sometimes spend "home office" days on they hill since I live 15 minutes away :cool: Most weeks I get a day or two of skiing so I'm pretty lucky that way. My oldest does ski, but not the more challenging slopes yet.

Golf Prizm I found incredible, a long way better for its intended purpose than G30. But I don't play golf!

I like Deep H2O a lot, but largely for its aesthetic, ditto Baseball Outfield.

I like them but I'm not really using any of them for the intended execution.

Back