• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rudy Project Sunglasses

jracsis

Oakley Expert
PH
I am not really an only Oakley sunglasses user as I also used Ray Bans and Bolle's (used because I am currently only using Oakleys at the moment). I am closely considering the Rudy Project sunglasses because of their lifetime warranty on the frames and lenses. I think they have better warranty because in the case of Oakley if the nose bombs for example of my XS gets worn out, I have to buy new ones. Also, if the nose bridge gets loose after the warranty period, I have to pay for a tune up.

What do you think of the Rudy Project sunglasses?

Rudy Project - Technically cool sport sunglasses, prescription glasses for sport, helmets, goggles and accessories

One thing to always be careful of is that "lifetime warranty" only covers manufacturers defects. If you sit on a pair and they break, it's not covered by warranty. Lifetime warranties are such a joke with eyewear because 99% of what goes wrong with eyewear is misuse or general wear and tear - none of which are covered.

Rudy Project is one of many eyewear brands that is making good eyewear... but definitely not anywhere near the level of Oakley as far as optics go.

They do offer lifetime warranty against breakage and cracks on their impactrx lenses and the corresponding frames, not just manufacturing defects. I am considering in getting a pair of these since it may end up more economical to maintain than say an x-metal pair. After reading on their optics, I would say that they offer great optics technology too specially the impactrx lenses which they say are unbreakable.

I have a lot of experience with many different eyewear brands from a retailer standpoint so don't feel like my opinions are just that of an Oakley fan.

#1 - Have you ever seen a broken Oakley lens?
#2 - For the frames it's "three (3) years from date of purchase against defects in materials and/or workmanship". This doesn't cover much as what can actually be considered a defect?
#3 - Their lens guarantee - you pay to ship them, pay $20 US, and get new lenses. Not really a guarantee, just a replacement lens program. Only crappy thing is that you have to sit and wait, nothing you could just roll into your dealer to purchase. Yes it still would work out to cheaper than a set of Oakley lens, but it's cheaper because the lenses aren't as good.
#4 - Their lenses aren't as strong - nobody else can consistently pass the same impact testing as Oakley.
#5 - Their lenses aren't as clear. The only non-glass sunglass brand that has anywhere near the optical clarity as Oakley is Kaenon and it's because they use a resin lens rather than a polycarbonate.

Just my 17 cents.

Good point as I still have to see an Oakley broken lens. I'm still on the look out for a new pair. I'm looking at some Oakleys and Ray Bans. But on the airport the other day, I tried some Rudy Projects and I added it to the wish list After some reading on user reviews and facts on their website, the brand just caught my interest. Thanks for the points above.

I've seen and broken a few Oakley lenses.

I've heard good things about Rudy Project, specifically from people in the shooting community.

If they fit you well, you like them, and they suit your needs... get them. I won't try to sell you on Oakley, I don't make money or benefit from you buying and using their product.

And anyone that thinks tests done for customers by the brand trying to get your money aren't biased might be in for a surprise.

I don't have a machine that measures clarity to make any sort of substantiated claim of one brand being more optically pure or clear than another. And I haven't seen independent test data on the matter either.

There are plenty of brands with higher impact ratings than Oakley. They aren't in the same market, and they don't put as high of a value on clarity and being distortion-free as Oakley does, and they aren't nearly as cool though.

I wjust tried the Rudy Project Ryzer with polarized photochormic grey lenses earlier and it is very good. I will just wait for a good deal. The price is almost the same as the fast jacket but I am leaning more towards the Rudy Project because of it's photochromic lens. I can use the glasses even at night time. I agree with you Rustpot, if it suits me and my needs, I will probably get them. I am just a bit undecided because I have other priorities for my hard earned cash. :blink:

Ryzer Black With Impactx Polarized Photochromic Grey Lenses

Their glasses are hideous.

Solution to your problem - take care of your stuff.

But concerning Fast Jackets, they have a Clear to Black Photochromic for $220.

Honestly I'm getting a little tired of the whole clarity argument. It gets to a point where they're so close to perfect it doesn't matter. I've been using VL lenses in my Romeos and I can see no difference from my Oakley lenses. As long as the shape isn't distorted (obviously), it's perfect. It's not like one is like looking through glass and the other water. It's ridiculous.

I say get what you like best.

You're on Oakley forum. Everyone is going to push oakleys. While they are excellent glasses, they're not the only manufacture out there.

Back