• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ruined Penny Made New Again. Screws Added Instead Of Rivits

ajirbl

Oakley Expert
Hey guys,

Thought i'd share a little mod i was forced to try with my Pennys.

While putting together my Penny again i got one of the pins stuck in the nose bridge. Couldn't force it in further as it was hitting the outer nose bridge, and couldn't force it out. Finally learned what the X-Man was talking about when he says the Pennys go in on an awkward angle while trying to support the bridge.

Anyways, i had to drill out the rivet/pin. Here is the damage caused.

Orbital Tab hole enlarged

photo 1.jpeg

Nose bridge holes enlarged
photo 2.jpeg

After speaking with Mark he suggested just parting out the Penny to the forum which sounded like the smart plan. But seeing as how i'd only be screwing up the parts that were already screwed up i thought i'd try something that everyone has wanted to thus far...add screws to the back of the nose bridge.

So i reamed out the holes with a #43 drill bit, tapped the holes with a 4-40 tap, dropped a few puddles of titanium on the orbital tab and reshaped it. From there i just used a couple 4-40 socket head screws i had lying around and modded them slightly...waiting for some stainless set screws that i can mod but these will work for now as they don't touch my upper nose when i wear them.

Here is the finished product

photo 3.jpeg
photo 4.jpeg
photo 5.jpeg

Sorry about the lack of pics between screwed up and finished but i was at my shop and don't like to keep my phone on me.

The screws work just as they do on an X-Squared and allow the easy removal of the nose bridge from the orbitals, and as i said, these screws are just place holders until the stainless set screws are delivered.

Thanks for looking.

Edit:

One difference between these and the X-squared is that the screws are visible from the front as i didn't want to get into reshaping the nose bridge yesterday if i'd welded it.

Will update once the stainless set screws show up.

Last edited:
That's great that you redeemed yourself from this bro. I would have never gone as far as you to do what you did. I would have sold them in agony. Good job man.

That's great that you redeemed yourself from this bro. I would have never gone as far as you to do what you did. I would have sold them in agony. Good job man.
Well like I said, I was only modding the parts I'd already ruined so if I screwed them up more then I'd still have sold the arms and left orbital. But now, I've got a wearable pair again and they won't look as strange once I get the right screws.

All in all a good learning experience...made a proper support for a penny frame in my press.

This is pretty incredible if you ask me, not only did you save a penny, but you may have even improved it for future maintenance! Very very impressive work and thank you for sharing (also goes to show why Mark is such a valuable resource to our community!).

This is pretty incredible if you ask me, not only did you save a penny, but you may have even improved it for future maintenance! Very very impressive work and thank you for sharing (also goes to show why Mark is such a valuable resource to our community!).

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure he would not have made the same mistake I made...but that experience comes with doing so many of them. The other x-metals go back together quite easily but the pennys really are a pain in the butt. I will only be buying tightened pennys in the future and sending to mark for permanent tightening...I don't really feel like risking another pair of pennys.

No one gonna say it... is it to lame... FINE... Ill say it... "A penny saved is a penny earned... " Just in time for douche day!!!