1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amp

amp Oakley Beginner

I asked for any X-Metals available at an official Oakley store, a Carbon-Black Iridium were the only ones. The rep told me that a new re-engineered X-Metal material will be available soon. Wonder if the quality will match or exceed after the Luxottica merge, which always disliked and affected Oakley a bit.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Dylanismyname

Dylanismyname Oakley Beginner

Sounds good, i hope that the new design is a really unique product that is indicative of the previous x-metals. Rather than a safe product that is merely a refinement of a previous model. As much as id like to see a "penny 2, Juliet 2" or something similar.:)

Eastonatti and amp like this.
  3. Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Premium Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

Shaun, JayMann, Eckstream1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Dylanismyname

Dylanismyname Oakley Beginner

I agree, doesn't really seem in keeping with their current releases though does it? anyways i'm hopeful.

5. NMOne

NMOne Oakley Beginner

Here we go again......o_O

6. erap

erap Oakley Collector

Is the date today april 1?

7. washi me sensie

washi me sensie The Oakley R┼Źnin

ill wait, then hope and pray that they don't ruin the legacy of the previous metals.....

Shaun and Tim Bishop like this.
  8. EDGE

EDGE Oakley Beginner

I was chatting with an O-Store manager just last week and he re-confirmed that the X-Metals were too expensive to produce. He said they would have had to do an upward price revision to support continuing to make them and they thought the market couldn't support it. He said they were experimenting with new materials like Carbon-Fiber hybrids but the X-Metal line would not continue. :cry:

Shaun and BriP like this.
  9. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

Even if a successor to X Metal goes to market it won't be what the original X Metal was. Period.
    There will be some that will argue the contrary, but IMHO nothing beats hand-made.
    They could never be hand-made again, from a kick-ass alloy and be offered at a reasonable price point under Lux with their higher margin requirements.
    Under JJ Oakley did incredible things to see if they could be done. I believe that the culture margin then was that margin was a secondary consideration to execution.
    My .02

10. Skito

Skito Oakley Beginner

If they don't come up with a worthy successor to the x metal line I feel they will lose what made them really unique. the x metals got me hooked on the brand.. whenever I look at the Oakley plastic frames I am not really impressed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.