• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rumor: New X-Metal

Will you acquire the new release if it exists?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still in shock after all this time. The Juliets didn't even get a proper funeral:(

What I heard from the local O-Store manager and fellow collector, was that it was being shut down due to it being toxic. Not sure what exactly that means, aside of the process produced toxic vapors/waste. He said that it is not possible to manufacture in the sate of California because of their strict environmental rules. He said that the facility was old and needed to be updated, but there were many issues with updating the facility. This is what caused the shutdown.
Not sure how accurate his info is.

The way I heard it, it was due to the magnesium. Though X-Metal is primarily titanium, it is alloyed with (I think) four other metals including magnesium. Though the end result is stable, raw magnesium is explosively combustible if it comes in contact with water. Cal's regulations on magnesium storage / handling were the reason the plant was built in Nevada.

I also heard the main reason the Nevada plant was shut down was that Nevada changed their regs on magnesium to be like Cal's and it was too expensive to relocate. Don't know if that's true or not.

There's another rumor that Cal's magnesium regs are what they are as a result of an accident with magnesium at Oakley in Cal. I think that's more likely urban legend, but I don't know.

Regarding new X-Metals, my biggest fear would be that people who don't know any better would associate the new, inferior product with the originals, reducing their perceived value. Of course, that might be a good thing for those who want to acquire original X-Metals at a more affordable price, but when I go out in John Q Public with Juliets sittin on my face, they should command the proper respect...

New X-Metals probably ain't gonna happen anyway, moot point.

Supposedly there is some type of new metal line coming out late spring. Oakley is supposedly changing the look of their stores inside, making it more interactive, at the same time changing up some of the glasses so they do not all look the same. The "X-Metal" line won't be continued, but something is coming out to replace them this year. From a area rep for Oakley

Supposedly there is some type of new metal line coming out late spring. Oakley is supposedly changing the look of their stores inside, making it more interactive, at the same time changing up some of the glasses so they do not all look the same. The "X-Metal" line won't be continued, but something is coming out to replace them this year. From a area rep for Oakley

Interesting.

I was certainly disappointed to hear about the closing of the X Metal line but I have heard there are new flagship models in the works that are killer. These are being done by the best of the best designers at Oakley.
Fear not. Jim

Everyone saw this right? Doesn't that mean there should be something at least like the X Metal line. Ive got my fingers crossed.

Everyone saw this right? Doesn't that mean there should be something at least like the X Metal line. Ive got my fingers crossed.
I have a world of respect for JJ and greatly appreciated his hospitality but... I heard a shareholder talking there. I note that his observation was anecdotal: "I have heard..." and not "I've seen..." as well as "these are being done by the best of the best at Oakley". To which I would ask "by the of the best or by the best that are left?".
Because truly the best of the best IMHO works at Intel now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back