• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rust in the earstem/orbital threads

joecool862

Keeper of the Skull
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Kansas City Baby!
Hey, I apologize if this has been covered before, I know rust has been talked about, but I'm not sure if my issue has been discussed. Breaking down a polished Juliet frame and all the screws are rusted. Not a problem, I have a Wiha T6 so the screws came out easy peezy. How do I clean the threads on the frame, WD 40? There looks to be a lot of rust left down there on the ear stem and orbital threads. I have replacement screws ready to go, just want to clean the frame super well so I don't get any rust on/ruin the new screws!

I'd use a mild solvent made for rust and a pipe cleaner. A small brass brush that would fit in there would be cool.

WD-40 is garbage.
I've got some naval jelly, is that too strong?
I strip down and clean all my Juliets. This poor little lady has the worst rusted screws I've ever seen. If I didn't have such a great driver I would have stripped 3 out of 4 of the screws...

Yeah I think naval jelly could mar the finish.
Yeah, definitely don't trust that stuff... I gave them a good hot water and soap bath. Went over everything with q-tips. Got most of the rust off I think... Still see some rust around the ear stem washers area that doesn't seem to want to come off.

I put all my screws back in with a weaponshield grease,it helps in the installation of new washers, lubricates and protects the threads from salts.