• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sad Day

• Thread starter Deleted member 13416
  • Start date
It's really not the company is was- in so many ways. I've said it before (but that's never kept me from saying something again) but like many entrepreneurial birthed entities, Oakley took on the personality and aura of it's founder- pushing the limits, doing it just to see if you could, products by daring people for daring for people who weren't afraid to be that as well as a certain degree of strength and grit. In fact- I'd argue this made Oakley a quintessential American company in the sense of what if represented. Lux (which remember is Italian) took it away from that- whereas Jim led Oakley was about guys sporting X-Metals at the racetrack, Medusas on the Harley, Splice while putting up a fence...or any of these while figuring out a problem on your house or in your garage -being a smart, driven and successful man's man. But Lux led Oakley has seemed to be mostly about just pretty boy beach bums chilling in the sand in their wayfarer frame before donning their Polo shirt for a cocktail at the club. I hate to generalize or stereotype but I'd dare to say Lux has more or less instituted the "pussification" of the brand.

Which is an interesting figure because- that's a raw, unadjusted number. And the last pre-Lux number we have was 2005 which was $750 million. So in 10 years, raw sales dollars are up 25%. BUT!!!! We all know Luxley has jacked prices the last decade. So without knowing the exact figures I could just be talking out my a** but....it would seem to me post-sale the company hasn't really increased its sales that much- if at all. Now could the eyewear market just be tapped out- it's possible, it's not a market that has the large collector/resale community like say Jordan/Nike sneakers etc. However my cynical side says maybe the reason why is because they've killed the innovation, cheapened the products and started whittling away at what was industry leading customer service. Just a thought.

I don't know the exact amount over.
I do know they bought the tank the first year the did over a billion in sales. And that was over 6 years ago. If I was to guess recent years would be closer to 2 billion

All good things must end. We love Jim's Oakley, not the new one. Any company that is worth $2.1B is going to attract a bigger shark and it winds up a shell of its former self.

I'm glad that Colin is still in the mix, and Oakley will continue to innovate in sports and performance with the use of technology, a la Radar Pace. Can they do "different" the way Jim did "different?" No way. Oakley will continue to supply nearly every major sport and nearly ever major athlete with apparel and accessories and that will help.

It's really not the company is was- in so many ways. I've said it before (but that's never kept me from saying something again) but like many entrepreneurial birthed entities, Oakley took on the personality and aura of it's founder- pushing the limits, doing it just to see if you could, products by daring people for daring for people who weren't afraid to be that as well as a certain degree of strength and grit. In fact- I'd argue this made Oakley a quintessential American company in the sense of what if represented. Lux (which remember is Italian) took it away from that- whereas Jim led Oakley was about guys sporting X-Metals at the racetrack, Medusas on the Harley, Splice while putting up a fence...or any of these while figuring out a problem on your house or in your garage -being a smart, driven and successful man's man. But Lux led Oakley has seemed to be mostly about just pretty boy beach bums chilling in the sand in their wayfarer frame before donning their Polo shirt for a cocktail at the club. I hate to generalize or stereotype but I'd dare to say Lux has more or less instituted the "pussification" of the brand.

Agree...seems like majority of models looks like some ''douchebag style''....everybody liked the Oakley that looks kickass sure...
somehow you have to give them credit still making amazing watch like TB2 and FMJ or hollow point,but from sunglasses point of view after Jawbone/Pitboss its very hard to see anything that doesn't look mediocre and has good quality and functionality... the new Jawbreaker and radarlocks etc not bad,but far away from original racing jackets or pro M frames imho,the quality is not good,they are flimsy they made of million pieces and so on....but it used to be that in 2010 or 2011 I could still say yeah what ever even they discontinued X metals,I felt I like to go to Oakley website just geta T-shirt or jumper which still had some cool graphics with wild skull motives or flames,or you know something very cool,
but these days even the apparel look so mediocre! wtf....
what is sad,I really rather go to Nike store where you can see more innovation! they have lot of knitted stuff and push the footwear a lot last couple of years,yeah,oakley has no freaking chance to compete with nike or UA or even Adidas these days....their apparel doesn't just have any innovation I feel....but maybe I'm wrong if you have some example from new O collections let me know guys

but these days even the apparel look so mediocre! wtf....
what is sad,I really rather go to Nike store where you can see more innovation! they have lot of knitted stuff and push the footwear a lot last couple of years,yeah,oakley has no freaking chance to compete with nike or UA or even Adidas these days....their apparel doesn't just have any innovation I feel....but maybe I'm wrong if you have some example from new O collections let me know guys
I like the new green fade white t shirt that would match my glasses, but that shirt is only available for US customers, not euro ! so i could not get it, that was a real bummer.:oops:

Back