1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. marlies

marlies Oakley Beginner

I did search the whole forum site for the answer to what I was sure would be a much asked question, but i couldn't find a generic answer that covered ALL okaley lenses, in particular Iridium

So could I Please ask, this strightfoward question:-

Is it really possible to self-repair some very minor surface scratches using some of the various tips you find all over Google, such as toothpaste, baking soda etc....

I truly can't beleive any of these would work and/or further damage the lens.

I have a number of Oakley sunglasses and I believe they are all marked polarized and some are iridium.

The fact that Oakley themselves do not provide any information on their own website with regard to scratch repair specifically, is a strong indication they cannot be repaired.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Dieseltech

Dieseltech Oakley Expert Premium Member

No none of that stuff works. It will only make them worse. Sorry scratched lenses can only be replaced in my experience.
    OakleyFrankFMJ likes this.
  3. shofzr

shofzr Oakley Expert

In my experience, removing scratches is usually the same regardless of the material , gold, glass, silver, plastic, Plutonite.

Polishing a scratch removes material at the surface down to the bottom of the scratch, this of course deforms the lens, and will destroy the Iridium coating.

Scratch repair DIY - ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436550005.303888.jpg

To " remove" this scratch all the material above the red line must be removed.

Another option is to fill in the scratch and then blend the filler to match the surface, probably not a good solution for a lens.

As mentioned above replacement seems to be the best option.
    Dieseltech and OakleyFrankFMJ like this.
  4. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

5. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

Unfortunately they can't be repaired or polished off. Your best bet would be to replace the lenses.
  6. marlies

marlies Oakley Beginner

thank you all so much. I am not sure what crap sunglasses these people are using to demonstrate how they remove scratches from lenses, but they sure aint OAKLEYS !!