• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Scratched MY new TITANIUM gearbox :( Solutions?

Johnjey

Oakley Beginner
Guys, just had my 1st ever O Gearbox Titanium delivered today and unfortunately scratched it against the wall while playing an iphone game :(

1. Can i simply return it to O & request a replacement? [ i used a 60% off coupon to buy this 895$ watch for $400: not sure if i will get to use that coupon if i decide to return it & not replace :( ]

2. Can O fix it for me for free? Any of their stores can do it?
3. I have been reading about it online and titanium despite being stronger/lighter than steel scratches easily. There are some methods mentioned How to Remove Scratches from a Titanium Watch | eBay but they all seem cumbersome to me and i am not sure if any of these will actually work for a titanium gearbox (Is the titanium in O Gearbox Polished???)
4. Please take a look at the pics, i tried to capture the scratch :(

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5135 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your new watch. For you getting it at 400 brand new and direct from oakley, I think thats a steal. I have the exact same watch. Scratches on watches are normal wear and tear. Each scratch/nick will have a story behind it. If it really bothers you, maybe try bringing it to a professional jewler to see if they can buff it out......

For beign titanium, I found that this does not scratch as easily as the minute machine did...and it was comparable to the stainless steel gearbox I had....but way lighter in weight of course =)

If it makes you feel any better, herse mine over the course of maybe 6 months. The crystal has no marks, as its very scratch ressitant being a true sapphire crystal. The casing is of cousre another story. Depending on the angle and how light hits it, you will see scratches from very fine, to deeper chips. I still get plenty of compliments on it.

11253769_10100892746600602_575920178_n.jpg

11326252_10100892746610582_1849996468_n.jpg

Last edited:
That is my favorite Oakley watch. Looks great and I wouldn't worry about a small scratch. I can't even see it. :)

It's raw titanium at the moment, but the scratch will oxidise soon enough and stand out less.

I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet.

What kind of game were you playing on your iPhone that caused you to scratch you watch against the wall?????

I don't believe Oakley should have to replace your watch because you scratched it. That is part of having a wearable item wear and tear.

Like others have said. Try a jeweler

As far as Oakley watches go, that's all correct - the Ti will scratch, more easily than SS. And SS will scratch, too; if you wear it, expect it to show it over time.

Some other brands have options with protective coatings that make it much, much harder to scratch, though, such as Duratect from Citizen.

Some people here have Cerakoted their Ti watches. That'll keep them from scratching. There's even a clear Cerakote, if you don't want to alter the appearance.

The coatings do wear off, but much slower. My Ti wedding ring was coated and looked like new for a while. A few days of rock climbing took care of that... Now years later the scratches don't show much and the ring has what looks like a brushed finish. Imho it looks better than new

Thanks for your replies guys - I was just lying on bed wearing the new watch and just had my hand behind my head and the unfortunate event of it brushing against the wall happened as I got up & was a little frustrated playing and loosing a couple of games "Pool" (bolliards) lol ...

Not sure if I would spend any more money on taking it to a jeweler or buying any items to brush & rub : but it would have been nice to keep it flawless - although I am not sure if I swim or use it while working out - what sort of wear and tear marks will show up on the titanium portion of it ?

Back