• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sealed box...to open or not

I agree, open it! That way you will know if it is a warranty job or there is a issue, also you can have a look. I have been in the same position recently. Just don't make a mess of it, keep any damage to the seal as minimal as possible (a nice clean cut). You can always justify this to the buyer when you sell them.

makezine_weird_Schermafbee-copy.jpg

2715556095_0fcb260f0e.jpg

Well if you want the perspective from someone who knows plenty people that are into antique trading/buying/selling.......

It is not unreasonable for a buyer to make sure that what ever pair that's being listed is in good condition. The box condition may slightly effect it... but I don't think it will do much at all .
Even people who are going to buy such things like comic books will have the issue unsealed somewhere in the proper environment to make sure that the issue itself is in the condition it is supposed to be in. ( IE: pages missing, original color fading ). I would assume that the box hasn't gotten too different in so far as, if you didn't want to break the model Serial number sticker in the front, you could simply open the tab from the back and check the contents. And if you REALLY wanted to keep authentic, when you are opening the box, you could video yourself expressing the time and date of the opening, showing the original contents inside, and displaying the first cloth bag unveil.

If you have the original contents and the box, this should suffice for an expected profit.

What ever you decide to do, its not the box that the collector is going to care about rather the condition of the glasses themselves.

There are other times that opening the box probably wouldn't be advisable but we are talking in terms of antique toys ( My Hobby) such as vintage action figures still in its original packaging. A Star Wars character Circa 1970 open or closed can mean the difference of 360.00 and 25.00. ( This is an extreeme example but its basically what can happen)

Case in point if you remember or still know about " Precious Moments", it is obvious that although you may have a particular PM in a box, its far more important that the figurine itself is immaculate or the price starts to die.

Decided to open them. Could not open the opposite end of the box because it slides out. Used a razor blade for a clean cut. Everything was perfect. I inspected and put them back, double zip lock bagged and stored inside a Tupperware bin in a cool dry dark place. I feel better at least knowing they are perfect.

Chances are they would be, but now I know for sure.

Well if you want the perspective from someone who knows plenty people that are into antique trading/buying/selling.......

It is not unreasonable for a buyer to make sure that what ever pair that's being listed is in good condition. The box condition may slightly effect it... but I don't think it will do much at all .
Even people who are going to buy such things like comic books will have the issue unsealed somewhere in the proper environment to make sure that the issue itself is in the condition it is supposed to be in. ( IE: pages missing, original color fading ). I would assume that the box hasn't gotten too different in so far as, if you didn't want to break the model Serial number sticker in the front, you could simply open the tab from the back and check the contents. And if you REALLY wanted to keep authentic, when you are opening the box, you could video yourself expressing the time and date of the opening, showing the original contents inside, and displaying the first cloth bag unveil.

If you have the original contents and the box, this should suffice for an expected profit.

What ever you decide to do, its not the box that the collector is going to care about rather the condition of the glasses themselves.

There are other times that opening the box probably wouldn't be advisable but we are talking in terms of antique toys ( My Hobby) such as vintage action figures still in its original packaging. A Star Wars character Circa 1970 open or closed can mean the difference of 360.00 and 25.00. ( This is an extreeme example but its basically what can happen)

Case in point if you remember or still know about " Precious Moments", it is obvious that although you may have a particular PM in a box, its far more important that the figurine itself is immaculate or the price starts to die.

Please note Bear, the film came out in 1977..........so no brownie points for you......................!

Appologies to BeccaBear and to you Miren Baines, got you mixed up......it was late and my eyes were very tired.......

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back