• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Seek Optics - Aftermarket Oakley Lens Review?

Whoa! Those are way thicker. I can't believe they even fit. Seems like they would have to glue them in at that size...

I'll try to get some decent shots of them tonight.
The thick lens on the right is an OEM fire polarized Oakley lens from a Juliet. The thin one on the left is an aftermarket black iridium lens but not sure who makes it. The seller of my carbon Juliets told me it was Oakley but it definitely isn't.

Yeah, I get all that, but my point is someone who is willing purchase non-Oakley lenses that look/perform great to the naked eye isn't worried too much about making their eyes work harder...especially people who do not wear their shades 8+ hours per day. Again, to each their own, if you don't like them, don't buy them...but to slam them when you haven't even tried them yourself seems weak. I actually tried the Walleva lenses. They were junk. The color was off and the depth perception was different in the lens from top to bottom.

You know, there IS a chance these are solid lenses all around. Since no one has had an optician check them, maybe Mr. Hardaway should do it himself and let the rest of the board know. Seems more logical than someone else having to take them in and pay god knows how much to have their $15 lenses checked. Just because they are cheaper than OEMs doesn't mean they are bad. After all, the frames you have cost between 5 and 10 bucks to manufacture, and you paid 100-400 bucks for them. Perhaps someone is doing the manufacturing, marketing and delivery all on their own...cutting out the many pieces in the middle, including overhead and insane markup for name brand.
I wear my sunglasses all the time. I refuse to buy anything but Oakley. If I need lenses I'll get them from Oakley. I don't have to try other lenses from any other manufacturer.

Mr. Hardaway shouldn't have to buy the lenses himself to test them for us. Someone can send them to him on their dime if they are so curious. Feel free to send a pair to him on your own dime to confirm.

You honestly don't have a clue what frames I wear....they cost a little bit more than 5-10 to manufacture and I paid way more than 100-400 for them.

Is Frank rubbing off on you? Wait.... That didn't sound right. Sorry Frank.... Errrrr how about, I think your trying to follow in Frank's foot steps.... Your just stirring the pot!!! Lol
Hell no.

But yes, I'm stirring the pot.

The thick lens on the right is an OEM fire polarized Oakley lens from a Juliet. The thin one on the left is an aftermarket black iridium lens but not sure who makes it. The seller of my carbon Juliets told me it was Oakley but it definitely isn't.
Is the thinner lens polarized? Normally the thinner 1.0mm lenses are polarized and made of triacetate. Oakley lenses should be 1.6mm for models I've seen quoted thickness.

If the lens is polarized triacetate, you can probably tell with an LCD monitor. Turn the lens until it blacks out the monitor, then try to read text through it. Polarized triacetate lenses will generally darken but still allow you to read (only like 95% effective polarization). Polarized polycarbonate lenses will be 100% polarized, you won't be able to read through them. This has been my experience over a wide range of different brands and types of lenses.

Hey guys, I didn't want to start any arguments. I said the clarity is “top-notch” because the lenses were not cloudy like other brands I've tried and to me they looked like the originals. I'm not an optician nor have I taken the lenses into a shop for testing. My opinion was based on my experience when comparing my original lenses to other replacement lenses I've bought.

What I can say is that to me the lenses are extremely similar to the original lenses. I have attached some pictures of what I received from Seek. In one picture you can see the seek lens and the oakley lens installed on my flak jacket xlj, as you can see the thickness is pretty much the same. The seek are the ones on the left (they are red). I also received a card with some specs and a little pouch for the lenses. To be completely honest the only thing I don't like is the word “polarized”etched into the right lens, I would have preferred without.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG

As one of the Forum's longstanding resident voices of reason (you can even read this in a British accent if it helps), I'm quite prepared to accept that there may be companies - other than Oakley - on this planet who might manufacture sunglass lenses with quality optics.

Perhaps unsurprisingly you have encountered some negative responses on this Oakley specific forum, some jokingly, some a little fanboyesque.

I have a collection of around 100 Oakley sunglasses, and Mrs H around 50, all of which with Oakley lenses installed. Should anything happen to those lenses, my first port of call will be Oakley replacements.
Why?
Well...
a) I am fortunate enough to be in a position to afford it;
b) Oakley lenses are readily available, either from retailers or custom cut by someone in the Oakley community; and
c) I have seen enough evidence to convince me that Oakley lenses will protect my eyes from a multitude of harmful elements that the Universe might throw at me.

Would I consider a 3rd party lens? Sure, why not. But, given the above, it would have to provide me with something that Oakley cannot. For example a cool new lens colour or some functionality/property that Oakley does not provide.

However, as a basic guide, the minimum expected would be of equal optical clarity/quality to Oakley's product. Until I see evidence of this, I am in a fortunate position to choose Oakley, and I think most of us here on the Forum are of that mindset.

So, perhaps what I'm saying is, Seek need to show us that they are indeed selling lenses of an equal (or surpassing!) quality to Oakley before we see a massive game-changing shift in sales from Forumite purchases.

It is not up to the Oakley community to prove how good or bad a lens company's products are. It is up to the company itself to show us this. You know, like Oakley does on its website and Youtube videos etc.

Seek needs to get in the lab and show us some optical facts. Only then do I think you'll see the Oakley community make a move to jump on board.

Back