• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Serial Numbers... Does it Really Matter Which Number You Get?

oakleybezerk

Unicorn Chaser
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
The Rainbow Nation
Since joining the forum a couple years back, I've seen several different threads regarding serial numbers. Whether it's someone chasing down a specific number or questioning them on a pair or having access to a low one. With the release of the robotic store display replica, this has become more evident.

I can understand someone trying to get a number that has a significant meaning to that person or trying to get the numbers to match on the subsequent limited editions that are released (Hoiberg comes to mind with his No.81)

Given that these pieces come off an assembly line and get numbered afterwards, who's to say that No. 001 truly is the first one. I have a feeling someone will chime in with a "who cares, it's No.001"

I personally don't get fazed by the numbers and would just be happy enough to have one of a limited run, but would love to hear others thoughts on this topic.

It is the source of collector pride. Bragging rights, if you will. Ultimately in the end it really doesn't indicate rarity or anything like that. Number 4 is equally rate as number 400 since there is only one of each.

In the past it was cool to have a lower serial number because it means you got some of the first pairs produced. For example a Romeo with SN 1222 came way before SN 78657. It's cool to have one of the first out there. Nowadays like with the robotic storefront, they're pretty much all the ship close to within each other so that coolness factor is no longer present.

So all this to say that serial numbers don't matter to me. It is simply a collectors' creation in terms of the importance, so everyone will have different mindset for chasing certain numbers. I don't value any specific number that much so I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

If you get number 1, you are number 1. Everyone wants to be number 1, and so everyone wants to be you because that's what you are now: Number 1. You have become the 1. You ARE 1. You are 1 with the number 1. It's a title that can't just be had through a degree. You get a name tag on your desk like "Mr. [your name here], a.k.a Number 1." At a restaurant, "Excuse me waiter, table for 1." When at Wal*Mart, "I believe the tag says '2 for 1' deal" and you just walk out with 2 said products because they were apparently just for you, Number 1.

I mean what's life if you're gonna be aiming for number 2,3,4,5 — if you ain't first, you're last. Shake n' bake, etc.

If you get number 1, you are number 1. Everyone wants to be number 1, and so everyone wants to be you because that's what you are now: Number 1. You have become the 1. You ARE 1. You are 1 with the number 1. It's a title that can't just be had through a degree. You get a name tag on your desk like "Mr. [your name here], a.k.a Number 1." At a restaurant, "Excuse me waiter, table for 1." When at Wal*Mart, "I believe the tag says '2 for 1' deal" and you just walk out with 2 said products because they were apparently just for you, Number 1.

I mean what's life if you're gonna be aiming for number 2,3,4,5 — if you ain't first, you're last. Shake n' bake, etc.
You change your meds recently? :p

Lower numbers see to be the ones people want certainly, although I see a few other reasons other than this.

A number that related to another Oakley product, eg 51 for Ichiro or VR46 (Rossi) would be prized highly IMHO
Personal importance, a DOB or similar
Matching to owners Oakley Bunker, Carabiner serial seems to me to be mostly what people want to be doing right now.

(Probable plenty other reasons too, like anything with consecutive numbers or zero's.)

I think the serial thing matters if you're after, say a good set of Ruby which have purple within them. The earlier runs being darker and deeper. Or an odler set of fire with moe red than orange. I can see it mattering to the older set collectors. But having a numer 001 isn't worth four or five times the normal price(an appproxinmation).

I'm liking the feedback so far (especially @Ventruck ;) ). I haven't been in the collecting game as long as many others out there and it's helping me understand the psychology behind the hunt. @Oakley G remarks on the frames & @Funky-Trixtar comment on variations in lens tint makes more sense to me now.

It's only when it comes to the one off runs, let's use the full carbon C-Six as an example, that I don't see the argued point in No.18 being more valuable than No.249. It's still only one of 250 pairs made.

In an auction setting, two or three or more bidders pinning to get a certain number (Ichiro's 51, Jordan's 23, Rossi's 46, Lucky number 13, @OakleyFrankFMJ favourite number 69), would see the price going high, but then someone with No.107 sees that and thinks his / her pair is worth the same. So are we as collectors over evaluating pairs based on a serial number?

I'm liking the feedback so far

In an auction setting, two or three or more bidders pinning to get a certain number (Ichiro's 51, Jordan's 23, Rossi's 46, Lucky number 13, @OakleyFrankFMJ favourite number 69), would see the price going high, but then someone with No.107 sees that and thinks his / her pair is worth the same. So are we as collectors over evaluating pairs based on a serial number?

Already mentioned this to you above.

Back