• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Serial Numbers... Does it Really Matter Which Number You Get?

I recall a sale some time back where the seller was a longtime member and the buyer went into a tizzy since one digit of the serial was reported wrong in the listing, just read in haste and didn't regard it as significant.

Already mentioned this to you above.
I've read and re-read what you wrote and I get what it is you said. I understand that there are bragging rights involved and that's between the fortunate guys who were able to get their hands on one of the limited pieces. Does this warrant two exact pieces, one with a low serial and the other in the opposite spectrum, being listed for sale after the fact, at two completely different asking prices? Would you spend $1000 to get No.008 or spend $500 to get No.197 of 250? Is the extra $500 really worth that much in bragging rights, when all 250 pairs were retailed at the exact same amount?

If I had bunker number 8 (which I don't) I would pay a bit more to get hold of Robot number 8, just to match em up.
That's not bragging rights though. If someone was in the market for a piece, and offered number 1, 2 or 3 for example, I believe they would pay significantly more.
At the end of the day, its worth what its worth to the buyer.

Look at car reg plates as another example of how people want bragging rights or just a certain number on their car or truck. You get a free one with the vehicle, yet some pay millions, just for a number. (I know these things are not limited edition items but you see what I mean).

I did, but I think those prices had more to do with the packaging rather than the serial numbers. One forum member who tried bidding on the first and dipped out, then added $500 more to help ensure he gets the second one.

If you're truly in a position whare you can spend such sums without worrying/trying to put food on the table, then heh, who am I to comment. However, if like me, finances have rarely been a whimsy, then I say, don't bother with the numbers game.

The only reason I went after robot 252 is so it would match the bunker and money clip i had. I got a money clip first, it was 252, then rubyskull posted bunker 252 for sale so I said **** it. Now I would like all my numbers to match but I really don't care what that number is. If I did, I would be hunting #420 of everything.

Nowadays when it comes to the serial numbers of the product it's not as significant I believe. I also know that #1 is not really #1 produced. It. Could be #50 is number #1 and #87 is actually #2 produced. I know this is how it is now anyway.

With that said. Would I like a certain number? Sure, why not? Will I have a meltdown and pay 5X retail because I want the first or last number? **** NO because I'm not stupid.

Again, the numbers are not produced in any particular order anymore. It doesn't matter. Anyone who thinks it does ........ Well that's their thoughts.

Back