• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sharp TV Issue

damn, i am in the market for a new tv myself and i should say, that just plain sucks. not to further disappoint you, but my wife's brother-in-laws (2 of them) have the same black line on their samsung 42" led tvs and they simply had no choice but to replace....

did the black line just suddenly show up or did it start like a thin line first that later got thicker as time went by?

i am a "techie phobe" in always thinking that the gadgets nowadays are getting more flimsy. and so far, i am more convinced that i am right....
At first..the tv would fire up and work.fine for 2 hours and then two skinny colored lines would appear and slowly develop into the black bar.
Now it's on all the time.

damn, i am in the market for a new tv myself and i should say, that just plain sucks. not to further disappoint you, but my wife's brother-in-laws (2 of them) have the same black line on their samsung 42" led tvs and they simply had no choice but to replace....

did the black line just suddenly show up or did it start like a thin line first that later got thicker as time went by?

i am a "techie phobe" in always thinking that the gadgets nowadays are getting more flimsy. and so far, i am more convinced that i am right....
You're right....faster cheaper faster more output flimsier crappier. ;)

But they cost a LOT.

At first..the tv would fire up and work.fine for 2 hours and then two skinny colored lines would appear and slowly develop into the black bar.
Now it's on all the time.
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHh...........same thing happened to one of my laptops. Only option was to swap the screen out on the laptop. Works like a champ now. I know it's not a tv but still. That was the only option.

Hh gregg is like a circuit city. There warranty is for 30 days. They kicked me to sharp. Sharp says 12 months..sorry.
I just can't beleive that with something that costs this much money that they wouldn't want me happy being it's 4 months over the warranty.
12 months on a 3000 dollar tv..unreal.
I've got walmart vizios in the house for almost a decade and never had a problem in the world...I step up to supposedly one of the best and I've got a 3k pile of junk. I literally will have to throw this thing in the trash.

I'm sick over this.
Have to go beyond store manager or sales guy. Get a hold of their district manager and be "that guy." Most retail, especially big box, get allowances for defects so it costs nothing to their bottom line or it's at a significantly reduced amount in contrast to the retail value. Tell the DM as a valued company card holder (which they make a profit for you just opening a line of credit as a store) you refuse to accept they can't do anything in a circumstance that falls under normal wear and tear and fails in an unreasonable amount of time. You shouldn't have to chase the Sharp company down, that is why you invested in them.

If he/she doesn't offer a resolution ask for his regional or the corporate office. DM's worth their salt hate those calls and usually want to avoid anything getting back to the corporate office.

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHh...........same thing happened to one of my laptops. Only option was to swap the screen out on the laptop. Works like a champ now. I know it's not a tv but still. That was the only option.
oh yeah, i heard one of my friends have the same issue. did the same thing. so i guess swapping 70" LED screen would not be cost efficient....

I would throw this at their DM as well...
http://www.hhgregg.com/articles/article_returns_refunds_faq

"Return & Exchange Policy
h.h. gregg is proud to offer Hassle-Free returns and exchanges for all purchases. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason, feel free to return or exchange your in-store or online purchase at any h.h. gregg store location."

They lead their return policy with a satisfaction guarantee above all else before their 30 day specific policy. That is your way "in" and around any corporate BS they may try to feed you about not being able to do a refund/exchange.

I would throw this at their DM as well...
http://www.hhgregg.com/articles/article_returns_refunds_faq

"Return & Exchange Policy
h.h. gregg is proud to offer Hassle-Free returns and exchanges for all purchases. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason, feel free to return or exchange your in-store or online purchase at any h.h. gregg store location."

They lead their return policy with a satisfaction guarantee above all else before their 30 day specific policy. That is your way "in" and around any corporate BS they may try to feed you about not being able to do a refund/exchange.
You may have found the way in..Thanks for that.

From what it sounds like, the LCD display itself is OK but the LED backlighting is what's f'ed up... Don't understand why that's so expensive to repair, must be bad design from Sharp.

FWIW, as a general practice you made the right choice by not buying the extended warranty; in most cases it's a waste of money for electronics, unless it covers all accidental damage and that's a real risk (like if you're a clumsy guy buying a tablet).

You just got unlucky with this one...

Best of luck with your fight - there's an old saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease..." Keep making a lot of noise until either you get satisfaction or it's no longer worth the effort...

Im not sure how the LED screens work but I know on my Mitsubishi LCD screen a little pressure in the affected area will help. If you get no where with Sharp or the retailer in time you might want to pull it apart and try some home remedies. If this is the case start reading the electronic forums for hints.

On a side note I bought a Mitsubishi that was a top of the line TV at the time in a bulk buy. It had a bad screen, I had no paperwork but i was fortunate enough to have some of the selling info from the box. It was only 6 months after production so we all knew it was under warranty even if I didnt have a receipt. Mitsubishi USA was one of the most attentive companies I have ever delt with. Their customer service way above and beyond. If I ever buy another high end electronic device I will be going back to them if i can.

Latest Posts

Back